Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fort near Torpoint

edwin astill

Working on the recollections of another Worcestershire Regt. man (Pte W Barley), he writes of his training after joining up in 1914. He is sent to Torpoint, and then to Treg... (can't make out the rest) Fort about 8 miles from Torpoint.

Can anyone identify the full name, please?

He had a rotten time there as he was packed into a tent situated on a hill slope!.

Edwin.

Tregantle Edwin

Google it & you will find plenty of info

Chris

Edwin

Tregantle is still there..and is ..as far as i know still MOD prop..but have'nt been there for several years..a god forsaken place in the winter..great in the summer...worth poping down there if you can...lot of other forts if thats your thing as well ..My granddad was caretaker at crownhill fort for meny years..

Cheers Andy

Edwin

Tregantle is still there..and is ..as far as i know still MOD prop..but have'nt been there for several years..a god forsaken place in the winter..great in the summer...worth poping down there if you can...lot of other forts if thats your thing as well ..My granddad was caretaker at crownhill fort for meny years..

Cheers Andy

Edwin

I agree with Andy, it's a fine structure, well worth visiting on a balmy summer day.

Chris

Thanks to all. My man was tired, cold, wet and hungry during his stay, which would have been in October 1914, and the Fort was overcrowded, hence his stay in a tent. But he did admit that it was good preparation for the front!

Edwin