Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine officer

domwalsh

Hi there,

Has anyone got any Naval Lists for 1943 and beyond? I have a medal group to a Royal Marine called E.A. Dimond who in 1943 was promoted to acting superintending clerk and I'm told went on to become a temporary captain. I have the ADM159 record of service that charts his ww1 service as corporal/sergeant until discharge in 1929 and his re-enlistment for WW2. But it stops in 1943 after his promotion to temp s/clerk and I'm keen to find out what he got up to thereafter as he appears to have got Defence Medal, War Medal, 39-45 Star, France & Germany Star and Africa Star.

Many thanks for any help.

Dom

Hi there,

Has anyone got any Naval Lists for 1943 and beyond? I have a medal group to a Royal Marine called E.A. Dimond who in 1943 was promoted to acting superintending clerk and I'm told went on to become a temporary captain. I have the ADM159 record of service that charts his ww1 service as corporal/sergeant until discharge in 1929 and his re-enlistment for WW2. But it stops in 1943 after his promotion to temp s/clerk and I'm keen to find out what he got up to thereafter as he appears to have got Defence Medal, War Medal, 39-45 Star, France & Germany Star and Africa Star.

Many thanks for any help.

Dom

hi dom, i cannot help you myself but have you tried combinedops.com, good site for royal marines , all the very best, tony

Dom, The Navy Lists during the war show Dimond promoted Temp Supt Clerk 30/3/42, serving in the Home Base Ledger Office. He was then commissioned Temp Lt (QM) RM with seniority 10/1/43. His first appointment as an officer seems to have been to MNBDO2, where he was Lt i/c pay at GHQ 2nd Echelon. I think MNBDO2 was in Egypt and Sicily during 1943. The Oct 1944 Navy List shows him as an Acting Temp Captain (QM) serving with the Special Service (SS) Group as oficer i/c records. SSG then became (I think) the Commando Group and he seems to have spent the rest of the war until demob doing the same job there.

Hope this helps.

H2

Cheers for that, very useful indeed. Does the MNBDO2 service perhaps explain his WW2 medal entitlement? I'm useless on WW2 medals so have no idea about qualification etc.

Best

Dom

Does anyone have any more info about MNBDO2's activities in 1943? Don't suppose any group photos of the officers exist?

Many thanks,

Dom

Does anyone have any more info about MNBDO2's activities in 1943? Don't suppose any group photos of the officers exist?

Many thanks,

Dom

Dom,

Julain Thompson's "Royal Marines" only says: "Meanwhile huge numbers of officers and men were still tied up in the two MNBDOs. Number 2 arrived in Egypt in early 1943, and some of its units were eventually deployed for the Sicily operation, but unemployed thereafter." Later, after D-Day he records that the nucleus 48 Cdo (RM) had been found from 7th Bn RM, and other units from the Mediterranean MNBDO [i.e. MNBDO 2].

In summary, they do not seem to have done very much. Eventually the manpower tied up in MNBDO2 found a proper role as part of the newly-formed Royal Marine Commandos.

H2

Thanks for that, H2.. I've found very little in any of the many RM boks I have. I might have to try the RM Museum.

All the best,

Dom