Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing medals (RNVR)

Margaret9

Hi,

i have another query, hopefully i can get help with.

a few years back i was browsing a car boot sale in Ladybank (Fife, Scotland) when i came across a grubby keepsake box with 2 medals and a hat band saying 'H.M. Submarines'. i felt really very sorry seeing these medals on a stall with junk so i bought them.

the medals, i since found out are the British Victory and the WW1 war medal, and they have on the rim 'C.Z.8763 J. LAWRENCE A.B. R.N.V.R . i have tried to find him on medal cards and in other various archives but as yet found nothing. i have know idea where this man lived or how old he was, i had no idea either that they had submarines in WW1.

it would be brilliant to find out about him and his story. none of these people should be forgotten.

any ideas as to who i could contact to find information?

thanks

margaret

Margaret

You will find his full service record at the National Archives at Kew. It will be filed under ADM.337/30, which holds the record for Clyde Division RNVR (that is what the CZ means) numbers 8201-9200. You have to visit Kew to get these papers. There you will also be able to see the RNVR Medal Rolls (no MICs).

You should also be able to download from the NA - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/ - his record card from ADM/339 (£3.50). The original of this card is held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, who will also have his original RNVR enrolment papers. You can contact them for copies.

Finally, it is possible that the HM Submarines cap tally is not associated with Lawrence. Only by getting his records will you know for sure.

Good luck - and well done for saving these medals.

H2

I cannot find an RND card for this man, so it is quite possible he may have served on HM Subs. ADM337/30 will be the quickest answer.

Thankyou both,

i have requested this information from Kew, you never know i might be able to send them to his hometown or descendant eventually.

margaret

hi margaret,

If you change your topic description to something like 'possible submariner' you should attract the attention of those with an interest in WW1 subs on this forum and they may be able to find out if he was a submariner.

Kew should send details of his service register, keep us posted as there are blokes on here than can help read the things.

• 3 weeks later...

HI GUYS!

i've now found out a bit about AB JAMES LAWRENCE CZ8763

he served on VICTORY VI, DOLPHIN and MAIDSTONE , are these boats or submarines? or are they places on shore?

HI GUYS!

i've now found out a bit about AB JAMES LAWRENCE CZ8763

he served on VICTORY VI, DOLPHIN and MAIDSTONE , are these boats or submarines? or are they places on shore?

hi margaret, all base,s i think , google search hms dolphin lots of hits and info, have just searched 1901 census, over 300 james lawrence,good luck with your search, tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Margaret,don,t know if you are aware of this but HMS Maidstone was a Submarine depot ship.His service record will be available from the PRO at Kew.All the best Bob. :)

hi,

yes thanks ive managed to find out quite a bit about him, its been a most interesting journey reading not just his, but other accounts too

margaret