Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card Query

rayhannan

I have just downloaded my uncle's medal card (image attached). I can see from the Cause of Discharge that he was wounded (I assume that is what "W" stands for) but I am bemused by the abbreviations A.O. 265/17 Para 2ac.

Alo what does -7627- indicate?

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

post-18025-1167830234.gif

Hello Ray

Have a look at post 6 from SteveE on this thread for the full answer:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=Army+Order+265

Regards

Mel

Thanks for that Mel but Paragraph 2a seems to refer to officers, or am I misreading the information? He was just a private.

Also can you tell me what T.P./2433 under "action taken" means? Does it indicate that he was awarded the Silver War medal?

Sorry to be dim but I'm not a military person!!

Also can you tell me what T.P./2433 under "action taken" means? Does it indicate that he was awarded the Silver War medal?

Yes - the list mentioned is one for the Silver War Badge. It should contain some additional details - date of enlistment, date of discharge, cause of discharge (sometimes just a code from King's Regulations whilst on others description of wounds etc), age on discharge and of course badge number.

HTH

Mike Shingleton

Thanks for that Mel but Paragraph 2a seems to refer to officers, or am I misreading the information? He was just a private.

No I don't think you are misreading it. It if does say para 2b (I can't make it out on the MIC to be honest) I think this is an error on the part of the person compiling the card. Possible reason for this is that AO265/17 amended ACI 1793 which originally covered BOTH officers and soldiers under para 1a and the records clerk has confused the two.

Mike Shingleton

No I don't think you are misreading it. It if does say para 2b (I can't make it out on the MIC to be honest) I think this is an error on the part of the person compiling the card. Possible reason for this is that AO265/17 amended ACI 1793 which originally covered BOTH officers and soldiers under para 1a and the records clerk has confused the two.

Mike Shingleton

Many thanks to everyone - I'm a lot clearer now!