Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is this man?

ZackNZ

Hi Pals

I wonder if anyone can help identify the man that Malcolm Ross (Official War Correspondent with the New Zealand Forces) described in an article he wrote on 31st May 1915 that he met in a hospital in Alexandria as: “A New Zealand lad, who had fought with Villa in Mexico, and had been wounded at Antwerp, came in from the Dardanelles with another hole drilled in his arm. He is now a major!”

Any suggestions gratefully received. :)

Zack

I believe this must refer to Bernard Freyberg, who was in hospital at Alexandria from 13 May to 8 June 1915, having been wounded on about 4 May at Gallipoli (GSW/fracture of arm). He was a Lt Cdr RNVR (Major equivalent) at the time. He was wounded at Antwerp - Leonard Sellers in his "Hood Battalion" says of Freyberg at Antwerp:

" While engaged in this [a reconnaissance] he touched a section of electrified barbed wire: the current glued his right hand to the wire, and it was some time before the switch could be located and the current turned off. His palm and fingers were lacerated, the scars remaining for the rest of his life..."

The RND was the only unit at Gallipoli to have been at Antwerp also.

There is a 'rumour' that he fought in the Mexican civil war but he probably was in Mexico between about April and August 1914.

Thank you for the information Horatio2. I think you are correct.

Gareth I think the potted official autobiography of Freyberg doesn't really do him justice but many thanks for giving me the website reference. I appreciate both your time to respond.

Cheers

Zack :)