Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC

Kelly1

My partner is trying to find out about his Grandfather when he served with the RFC in WW1.

We have had a look on the National Archives website and can't find a MIC for him, does this mean he didn't have one or doesn't the national archives have MIC for the RFC?

My partners Grandfather was George Wheeler, service number: 91534. He Joined the RFC in 1917 and was discharged in 1919.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Kelly. :)

the RFC are on the MICs - did GW receive any medals ? As a general rule there is a MIC if ww1 medals are awarded

My grandfather was an RFC man, and I have been unable to find any record of him on the MIC. Could it be that parts of the MICs were destryed by enemy action during WW2 as many other records were??

We are not sure if George Wheeler received any medals.

So if the MIC are included on the National Archives website, it could mean that he didn't get any medals.

Thank you for your help.

is there any indication that he served in any other regiments or corps as well as RFC? any pictures in uniform you could scan?

Mick

In my experience, nearly all the MIC relate to WW1 medals. The medal cards relate to the medal rolls which where used to impress and issue the medals

I have seen half a dozen MIC that relate to Coldstream Guards Long service and good conduct medals issued in the mid 1930's

RFC could have served in the UK as ground crew and therefore not qualify for medals

you could still try the national archives for his service papers

Do you know if you can request copies of RFc sevice records from the national archives website, the same way as you can for the army?

Thank you for your help.

Hi Steve

Thank you for your help.

We have downloaded that medal card a while ago, but unfortunately it is for another George Wheeler.

My partners Grandfathers service number was 91534 and the date of discharge on the medal card says 1917. My partners Grandfather was discharged in 1919.

Thank you once again for your help.

Kind regards

The Medal Index Cards currently available are for the ARMY, some men who served in the RFC or RAF are on them because they transferred during the war; these do not pick up everyone who so transferred. Others are on them because they qualified for the 1914 or 1914/15 Stars whilst with the RFC.

The RFC/RAF cards have not been released to the public.

The RAF records are held in service number order and George Wheeler's records should be in AIR 79/831 service numbers 91501 - 91586.

These are not online as they have not been copied, as you have his service number they may be able to copy and send the pages to you.

Jimothy

If you do not have his RFC/ RAF service nyber, you have to go through the service number index in AIR 78.

Jimothy

If you do not have his RFC/ RAF service nyber, you have to go through the service number index in AIR 78.

Thanks for that. I will have to get to Kew and have a look. I have a number which is allegedly his service number from when he originally signed up in the Lincolnshire Regiment from where he transferred to the RFC - there is a lot of heresay in the family about my grandad. But I know that he was in the RFC as I have pictures of him in uniform.

Thanks again.

The RAF records are held in service number order and George Wheeler's records should be in AIR 79/831 service numbers 91501 - 91586.

These are not online as they have not been copied, as you have his service number they may be able to copy and send the pages to you.

Thank you very much for all of your help, it is truly appreciated.

I have just been to the National Archives website and requested an estimate for copying George Wheelers service record.

Thank you once again for all of your help.

Kelly.

Hi

I have been a Kew today looking at some AIR79's

George Wheeler 91534. His record is a bit sparse even for AIR 79, but

it says, Born 1887, Married Nottingham 16/08/1908 Louisa, they had a son George born 11/01/11.

Not much on his postings, 11/8/17 Enlisted RFC, then to 121 Sqn, 18/07/18 & W ARS (Western Aeroplane Recovery section? I am guessing), 18/02/19 Disposal Centre Clipstone. In civilian life he was a Cabinet Maker and in the RAF an Rigger (Aero).

I hope this helps.

john_g

Hi

I have been a Kew today looking at some AIR79's

George Wheeler 91534. His record is a bit sparse even for AIR 79, but

it says, Born 1887, Married Nottingham 16/08/1908 Louisa, they had a son George born 11/01/11.

Not much on his postings, 11/8/17 Enlisted RFC, then to 121 Sqn, 18/07/18 & W ARS (Western Aeroplane Recovery section? I am guessing), 18/02/19 Disposal Centre Clipstone. In civilian life he was a Cabinet Maker and in the RAF an Rigger (Aero).

I hope this helps.

john_g

Hi John

Thank you very much for looking up George's service record, it is very much appreciated.

That is deffinately him, Louisa was his first wife. My Partners father told us that George was a cabinet maker.

I have applied to have his service record copied from the national archives, my partner will be really pleased when I tell him George's service record is there.

Thank you once again for your help.

Kind regards

Kelly