Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sister Elise Kemp - any info/pictures

Neil Mackenzie

Does anyone (Sue?) have any info or pictures on Sister Elise Kemp killed in an air raid and buried at Godevaersvelde?

I have looked at her service record at the NA (WO 399/12544) which gives a little bit of info.

I understand there is stained class window memorial to her in the chapel at Kings College Hospital in Denmark Hill (where she used to work). Does anyone know if this is still there?

Thanks.

Neil

Surname KEMP

Firstname Elise Margaret

Service Number

Date Death

Decoration

Place of birth

Other

SNWM roll WOMEN'S SERVICES.

Rank Unknown

Theatre of death Unknown

Name: KEMP

Initials: E M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Territorial Force Nursing Service

Unit Text: 58th Casualty Clearing Station

Date of Death: 20/10/1917

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. M. 1.

Cemetery: GODEWAERSVELDE BRITISH CEMETERY

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks for the replies and especially for the picture - just what I was after.

One of the letters in the file at the NA says she was an "excellent disciplinarian" and she certainly looks like one. The letter also says she had a "beautiful character".

Neil

Neil

In addition, she was born in 1882 in Wellington, New Zealand, the daughter of William George Kemp, a surgeon, and his wife Charlotte. At the time of the 1901 Census the family were living at 38 Alleyn Road, West Dulwich, and this probably accounts for her training at King's College Hospital, just down the road. I've never looked at her file, but I assume that her original attachment within the Territorial Force Nursing Service was No.4 London General Hospital.

Despite her CWGC details saying she was part of 58 Casualty Clearing Station, she was not working there at the time of her death, but was, in fact, doing temporary duty at No.37 Casualty Clearing Station. The unit war diary of the Matron-in-Chief, carries this entry:

October 21st

Went on to Godwaersvelde to 37 C.C.S. where I saw the O.C. and learnt the particulars of the very trying incident of the night before. Fortunately they had just evacuated and they had only 30 patients in hospital, or the casualties would have been very great. There had been no warning at all beforehand and the bombs landed close to a marquee where the sister, 3 orderlies and 3 patients were killed and other were wounded, two of whom lost their arms. In another marquee the Sister in charge, Miss Devenish Meares, received multiple wounds, fortunately of not a very serious nature. She had an anaesthetic during the night and pieces of shell were removed from her thigh, ankle and fore-arm, and arrangements were being made to send her to the Sick Sisters' Hospital, St. Omer. I visited her and found her wonderfully plucky. Arranged for Miss Luard, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R., to join 37 C.C.S. as Sister in charge as soon as possible. Arranged for 4 of the nurses who were very upset to be sent down to the Base.

Sue

Sue.

Many thanks - I hoped you would see this thread.

The notes in her file did say she was attached to 37 CCS but one also said she was actually at 38 CCS when she was killed. Whether this is a typing error or not I am not sure.

Neil

Jim Strawbridge,

I think Sue has proven the stray NZ nurse who was killed in a CCS. Elise Kemp was born in Wellington NZ. I can't find my letters to you on this computer, I think they are on my old one, but from memory, there was an unknown NZ nurse killed in a CCS, and we could not prove who it was.

Thanks Sue.

Christine

Christine

Always encouraging when you know things you never realised you knew! :rolleyes:

According to the 1901 census, Elise Kemp's father William, was born in - well, it looks like Aldwick, Northumberland, but I think it must be Alnwick, as Aldwick is somewhere else entirely. Her mother's place of birth is looks like 'Molulka' New Zealand, but not very clear. As for the rest of the family [ages in 1901]:

Violet Annie 23 b. Wellington

Elise Margaret 19 b. Wellington

Kathleen Mary 17 b. Wellington

But the youngest, Charles Gordon, 16 in 1901, was born in London, so it looks as though the family came to England [or back to England] when Elise was about three years old.

Sue

possibly Motueka- a small place at top of the South Island, near Nelson

Charlotte Greenwood married William Kemp in 1870

John Danforth and Sarah Greenwood were a couple from Britain who came to Nelson , setted firstly in Motueka, then in Nelson proper.http://www.dnzb.govt.nz/dnzb/default.asp?Find_Quick.asp?PersonEssay=1G19

John Danforth Greenwood was a doctor. William Kemp was a doctor. Elise Kemp was a nurse

Jim Strawbridge,

I think Sue has proven the stray NZ nurse who was killed in a CCS. Elise Kemp was born in Wellington NZ. I can't find my letters to you on this computer, I think they are on my old one, but from memory, there was an unknown NZ nurse killed in a CCS, and we could not prove who it was.

Thanks Sue.

Christine

I cannot find that I had a missing New Zealander but nice to pan out the information given on this site with regards to Elise Kemp. I have a photograph of her and of her headstone.

• 4 years later...

I paid my respects last week. I wonder whether she cared for my great uncle who was injured on 31/7/1917, died on 1/8/1917 and is also buried in Godswaersvelde. It would be nice to think she did.

Roger

post-42671-0-22174000-1313512421.jpg

• 7 years later...
  • Admin

Resurrecting this thread as my friend had found Elise's IWM photo and was curious.

We downloaded her service file from TNA . We were both surprised that recorded in her effects was the fact that a purse in her possession contained £30, the equivalent of some £1455 today. Surely a huge amount to have in cash on your person in a war zone?

Her final estate came to over £72.

The records were well worth reading.