Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Frederick Calhoun Vincent - North Russia 1920

john-g

Hi,

The above went to North Russian, probably on HMS Vindictive during early September 1919.

I have a report that he may have been killed or missing in/near Riga. I cannot find any mention in CWGC, as the incident was reported on 18/ May 1920 it might have fallen outside the CWGC remit? Any help appreciated.

john_g

http://www.66squadron.co.uk

1920 was still covered by the CWGC

• 2 years later...
Hi,

The above went to North Russian, probably on HMS Vindictive during early September 1919.

I have a report that he may have been killed or missing in/near Riga. I cannot find any mention in CWGC, as the incident was reported on 18/ May 1920 it might have fallen outside the CWGC remit? Any help appreciated.

john_g

http://www.66squadron.co.uk

RAF Officer Deaths for 12 November 1918 to 31 December 1928 lists Lt. F.C. Vincent as

"killed 3 January 1919." As John stated in the preceding post, Vincent was MIA or KIA near

Riga, Latvia.

Trelawney 7 January 2009

RAF service records probably in AIR 76/522 (names: Viall, Richmond - Vytton, W T).

Hi Chaps,

Nice to see one of my old threads surfacing.

His AIR76 notes that on 01/05/19 he was posted to 29 Group, 27/05/19 HMS Argus, 04/09/19 HMS Vindictive and that he went missing on 18/05/1920.

I am still interested in the man and would like to know what happend to him.

I have searched CWGC site before and not found him listed.

john_g

www.66squadron.co.uk

Curious John - LG of 8 June 1920. Page 12 of 80 has him

The undermentioned are transferred to

unempld. list: —

18th May 1920.

Lt. Robett Wolstenholme Reid, M.iC.

Lt. Frederick Calhoun Vincent, D.F.C.

Cheers

Sue K

Hi Sue,

Well that is a turn up! It would explain why he is not listed on the CWGC data base!

Thanks very much, I will have to pursue it a bit further.

Cheers

john_g

www.66squadron.co.uk

John

Confirming Sue's newspaper article, the personnel list for the Royal Irish Constabulary (on Ancestry.com)

confirms that Frederick Calhoun Vincent was in the R.I.C. and that he enlisted in 1920. It also states

that he was born in 1898, in the U.S.A. The R.I.C. entry reads:

Vincent, Fdk C birth year 1898 birthplace U.S.A. Enlisted 1920

Also, Frederick C. Vincent arrived at Liverpool, 20 July 1917, from New York (from a New York

Passenger List on Ancestry.com); and a "Frederick Vincent," born 1898, arrived at Southampton

from New York on 17 September 1926 & 3 August 1932 (the latter by way of Cherbourg).

So, Vincent escaped death at the hands of the Freikorps or the Red Army, in Latvia and achieved

a more dubious posterity. Certainly, the R.I.C. enlistment suggests no small extent of desperation

in his search for employment.

Trelawney

• 2 months later...

I have done a bit more research in to Vincent. As we know he was not killed, the entry on his records that looked like it said he was killed actually read that he was seconded to the British Military Mission in Riga on 23 November 1919 and was posted away to H.E. on 18 May 1920. The record also notes he was disposed of on 06/ May 1920? So there is some sort of clerical error here? He was MiD 12 July 1920 and was also awarded a DFC

To add confusion to the notes on other posts that he came over from the USA, this may be so but his father was also an F C Vincent.

john_g

www.66squadron.co.uk

John

Not THAT much confusion: the RIC personnel list states, specifically, that he was born in 1898 in the U.S.A.--

Vincent's father may have the same initials or names, but we would be treading in the realm of the miraculous

if he was born in 1898 rather than two, three, or four decades previously.

Trelawney

I have done a bit more research in to Vincent. As we know he was not killed, the entry on his records that looked like it said he was killed actually read that he was seconded to the British Military Mission in Riga on 23 November 1919 and was posted away to H.E. on 18 May 1920. The record also notes he was disposed of on 06/ May 1920? So there is some sort of clerical error here? He was MiD 12 July 1920 and was also awarded a DFC

To add confusion to the notes on other posts that he came over from the USA, this may be so but his father was also an F C Vincent.

john_g

www.66squadron.co.uk

• 5 years later...

This thread gets a shove every few years, my turn to do it now.

I have been looking at him from the point of view of his service in Ireland. I have downloaded both RNAS and RAF records

I just have not been able to find anything on him prior to signing up as "Frederic(k) Calhoun Vincent" however I did find

seaman2.jpg

So he told the Irish he was born in USA and the shipping regulators that he was born in Bristol. It is clear that the constant fact in it all his his date of birth. Interestingly there was a Frederick Christopher Vincent of that same age in 1901 Irish and 1911 census English whose father was a Carpenter (Samuel Tomlinson Vincent), which is what he was on the Seaman's Card

However a Frederick C Vincent, merchant born 1877 and a US citizen does exist, and may be the Capt F C Vincent who relinquished his commission in 1917.

Throw into that the Fraud conviction, and Vincent's life is impossible to follow

And if he were American, then he should have featured in USA censuses, but I cannot find him in any

Has anyone made any progress since 2009

• 7 months later...

I found him in 1910 census now living in Jackson, Missouri

• 8 years later...

..and his death in London in 1953

vincent.jpg.fa4e951424f7dc3c454fcbcf59b89d8e.jpg

I have him on Hendon electoral rolls until 1931,, then he disappears until his death