Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos

Peter Beckett

As I mentioned in another Forum, I will be at the AWM, Canberra on Sat 6th and Sun 7th Dec. I wll be taking both digital camera and video so if anyone requires any photos of exhibits etc, please contact me and I will be more than happy to fulfill requests.

Peter

Peter,

Could you look for the piece of mosaic floor from Egypt, mentioned

here and see how big it is, and take a photo please. It should be somewhere on the floor! :lol:

Greenwoodman,

Yes, I will be there almost all of the time I am in Canberra. (nice to see you on the Anzac Forum) Any particular photos?

Christine,

easy done, haven't been there for a few years but can still remember the mosaic.

Peter ;)

Thanks in advance Peter. Could you take photos of the commemoration of these two men please -

HALL, Tom, 371, Private, killed in action Friday, 27/08/15, age 20, 17th (New South Wales) Battalion, Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

Australian War Memorial in Canberra, Panel 82.

HOLLAND, Andrew Samuel. 2849A (number recorded as 28492 on CWGC) Private, killed in action, 18/08/16, age 23, 7th Battalion, Australian Infantry. Australian War Memorial in Canberra, Panel 50.

And I'd be grateful for a general view of the memorial, if possible, as well.

I'll e-mail you direct with my e-mail address.

Peter

Pleased to here the copy prints of the Polygon Wood photos arrived in good order.

So, don't suppose you could do me a favour - Any chance of a photo of the German A7V tank? I believe this has been recently restored.

Thanks

ALAN WAKEFIELD

Have just photographed the AWM in London.. quite a lot of people there looking. I found it hard to locate any places directly so just had to browse. But it is impressive.

John

Reminder!!

My tickets arrived today and I fly out in a Cessna 172 to Canberra on Sat morning so if you have any requests please reply via this Forum thread. I intend to be there from approx 1300hrs to 2200hrs on Sat and 0900hrs till 1300hrs on Sunday, so will have plenty of time for photos, etc, I will also be taking digital movies as well as photos. All previous requests noted.

Peter ;)

Nearly forgot.

Here is the program for Sat at the Australian War Memorial

1. Striking By Night: Lancaster G for George

Striking by night features the Memorial's famous Lancaster bomber G for George and tells the stories of those Australians who served in Bomber Command during the Second World War.

This permanent exhibition features a dramatic sound and light show that re-creates a night bombing operation over Berlin in December 1943. Three Geman Messerschmitt fighter aircraft also feature in the display.

The Memorial has a range of activities planned for the opening on 6 December

9.30 am

Parade Ground

Bomber Command Commemorative Ceremony

This ceremony commemorates the more than 10,000 Australians who went to Britain to serve as aircrew in Bomber Command. During the Second World War aerial bombing was Britain’s most effective means of striking directly at Germany.

12.00 pm

Parade Ground

MIX 106.3 Radio Broadcast

Come along and meet Jeff, Karina and the team from MIX 106.3 as they broadcast live from the Memorial.

12.45 pm

Parade Ground

RAAF Air Command Band Performance

Established in 1932, this is one of Australia’s leading concert bands.

1.15 pm

View from Parade Ground

Air Show

This spectacular air show features a performance by the RAAF Roulettes aerial acrobatics team and flyovers by vintage planes, including Tigermoths, a Mustang, Dakota C-47s, Harvards, and a Catalina.

2.00pm

ANZAC Hall

striking By Night: Lancaster ‘G for George’ open to the public.

Peter

Hi Peter

I've just seen the highlights of the day at the AWM on the local news. Looked like it was a great day and I'm looking forward to hearing your report about it.

Each day this past week, the paper has been running an article on a member of Bomber Command. There's been some very interesting articles, but the common theme seems to be that the men are still amazed that they survived.

The Australian paper this morning had an article about Don Charlwood who was in 103 Squadron RAF. His book 'No Moon Tonight' is one of my all time favourite books so it was good to see that he's still alive and seemingly doing well.

Cheers

Andrew

Well,

just got back from Canberra. I don't think I will be flying to Canberra from Tyabb again as it was a 2.5hr flight over the mountains and while the pilot was A1, the fight attendant service was abysmal. However, that said the display is fantastic. G for George is suspended and at 11 o'clock there is a Messerschmitt 109G facing G for George. The lights go out and the effects of flying, searchlights and flak are very realistic especially when the cannon on the Messerschmitt start firing. The show runs for about 15 mins and is definitely worth seeing.

During the presentation before the show, which was an extra and not for the general public, there was ex RAAF member present when G for George was touring Australia on 1944 raising War Bonds and he recalls George landing at Point Cook in Victoria and when George prepared for take-off, the slipstream from the bomber blew 2 Tiger Moths over.

I have posted this photo to give you an idea,

Peter

Further to last posting.

Christine,

have some photos of the mosaic for you.

Greenwoodman,

Have your photos

Alan Wakefield,

could not find the german A7V tank on display but will make contact with the staff at the AWM restoration workshops

Stephenh,

Sorry, did not have time to chase up your request but will also follow through with staff at the AWM

Christine and Greenwoodman, please email me your addresses offline and I will post your photos to you

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Alan,

German A7V tank is at the Queensland Museum, Brisbane and have sent you emails and a floorplan showing where the tank is

Following up on photos, etc

Peter