Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

G H Lamb MIC

spoons

Can anyone please advise on my wife's grandfather who died in 1939? we know he married at Kirkee, India in 1911 at which time he was a Sgt in RFA and that his son was born in India in 1915. The medals seem to be the usual 3 but what is the 4th? Also, is there anything else that might be of interest to the family? Did he only serve in India? Not being a historian myself, what might he have been doing there?

post-16685-1167413504.jpg

The 4th medal is the Indian General Service Medal, possibly with clasp Afghanistan 1919 (difficult to read what it says).

After the end of 1915 he was commissioned into the Royal Field Artillery. He was promoted to Lieutenant on 18 May 1918 (I cheated on this - it's in the November 18 army list!). After the war he transferred into the Royal Horse Artillery.

Afraid I can't say whether he only served in India, but there are several sets of papers to G Lamb's in the National Archives, and if one of them is his it will tell you that and a lot more.

Jon

The 4th medal is the Indian General Service Medal, possibly with clasp Afghanistan 1919 (difficult to read what it says).

After the end of 1915 he was commissioned into the Royal Field Artillery. He was promoted to Lieutenant on 18 May 1918 (I cheated on this - it's in the November 18 army list!). After the war he transferred into the Royal Horse Artillery.

Afraid I can't say whether he only served in India, but there are several sets of papers to G Lamb's in the National Archives, and if one of them is his it will tell you that and a lot more.

Jon

My original pic is better resolution and it is "A" (something, probably n) then "1919" so I guess that is it. Thanks very much for your help, meeting the family in Edinburgh tomorrow for hogmanay so I am sure that they will find it interesting that grandad served in Afghanistan.

Hi

I woula agree with Jon that the 4th medal is the Indian General Service Medal, with the clasp Afghanistan 1919

Simon

Hi

His date of theatre of War & code(15 Star) is for Seistan 5E (Frontier Regions of India) This could have been Operations against the Mohmands (14th-19th April 1915) First Affair of Hafiz Kor 18th April, North west of road Abazai-Shabkadr-Michni. :lol:

Hi

His date of theatre of War & code(15 Star) is for Seistan 5E (Frontier Regions of India) This could have been Operations against the Mohmands (14th-19th April 1915) First Affair of Hafiz Kor 18th April, North west of road Abazai-Shabkadr-Michni. :lol:

wow, that's great info thanks, I confess to being shockingly ignorant of history in this period (at school it was all romans and industrial revolution) and as my grandparents died before I was born, there was no-one to tell me first hand. I need to find time to read a good book, the trouble is that the last dozen or so books I bought still sit on my shelf unread.

As for the IGSM 1908-1935, with Afghanistan NWF 1919 here are the British Artillery units:

1 Battery RHA.(he could have been with this unit as he was a Lt in the RHA on the MIC).

Nos 4,28,74,77,79,89,90,101,102,1091,1093,1096,1104,1107 Batteries RFA.

Nos 1,3,4,6,8,9 Mountain Batteries RGA.

Nos 60,68 Heavy Batteries RGA.

If he was in the Indian Army Artillery:

Nos 22,23,24,27,28,30,33,35,37,38 Mountain Batteries, Frontier Garrison Artillery.

Nos 1,2 Kashmir Mountain Batteries.