Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Henry Walton /East Yorks Reg

Guest Kim Price

Just this minute found this site, so sorry if I don't know the abbreviations but,

Could anyone please give me advice on how I can get more info on my Gt Uncle.

Thomas Henry Walton

1st Bn East Yorkshire Regiment

Died age 23 on 9th April 1917 in France

Son of Annie Hildreth (my gt granny) of Wear St, Tow Law

What I would like to know is anymore info on him, also I do know that he was in Graylingwell Hospital, Chichester on 22 April 1916, and would love to know why. Have tried to contact Chichester for his medical records, written & emailed but have had no response.

If anyone could advise me where I can go from here I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

regards

Kim

Hello Kim

Welcome to the forum.

If you click on "The Long, Long Trail" (top left of this page) and then on "Grandad's War", you'll find an extensive section on how to go about researching a soldier of the British Army of 1914-1918. You have an excellent start, as (presumably) you already know his number. If not, "Grandad's War" shows you how to find it.

From the date, it looks like THomas died at the start of the Battle of Arras.

Kind regards and good luck

Kim,

In Soldiers Died in the Great War he is described as being born at Tow Law and enlisting at Bishop Auckland. Other details are what you already have.

Jock Bruce

Thank you so much for your replies guys, but could anyone give me advice on how to get the info regarding his stay in Graylingwell?

If he was in hospital 22 April 1916 and died April 1917 in France, I find that very sad, what must my gt grandma have gone thru?

Kim

Kim

If his papers have survived you may get some info as to whether he was in hospital due to wounds or sicknes. According to the soldiers died cd he was killed in Action. The 9th of April 1917 was the opening day of the Batttle of Arras and I'm sure one of the East Yorks. researchers on the Forum will be able to give you some more details on his battalion's involvenment during that day.

Alan,

Thank you for your reply, looks like a trip to Kew,

I did read somewhere that 9th April was East Yorks first battle at Arras, I will look into that furhter.

Kim

Kim.

Here's the entry in the regimental History covering the 1st battalion on 9th April....

Dave.

post-3-1069970783.jpg

...and...

post-3-1069970900.jpg

Thanks for all your responses,

I went to Kew today, never been before, and I can't believe I have come home with Thomas Henry Walton's service records! Even has letters sent by my Gt Granny.

Thank you all.

Dave, is there a web site that extraction comes from? as I would love a copy of it. Thks

Kim

Well done Kim,

With regards to Graylingwell I have also emailed Chichester regarding my great grandfather who died there in 1940 and received a response. "Not many of the records exist and they are closed for a hundred years. "

So don't expect to much. Do any of his papers give any indication as to his cause of death?

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ali

Do any of his papers give any indication as to his cause of death?

Sorry Ali being dumb again!

If you want more information about Graylingwell hospital please email me.

Ali

Dave, is there a web site that extraction comes from? as I would love a copy of it. Thks

Kim

Kim.

None (that I know of). I have a copy of the regimental history by Everard Wyrall.This is where the extracts come from. If you need anything else from it, drop me a line.

Dave.