Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. 1342 Charles William Cross

Chris

Hi all

Would be grateful if anyone can jsut double check CWGc for the above man, as i cannot find him on it. I suspect because he died only 9 days after discharge from hospital. Sadly i did not locate his service papers but have got his medal rolls and SWB rolls. Charles Cross was a grocer prior to the war from Scunthorpe, and enlisted in the 10th Lincs (Chums) on 23rd january 1915, going out to france with the Battalion the following January. He was wounded at la Boiselle on 1st july 1916, but recovered from his wounds and went back to France serving this time with the 1st lincs. In May 1917, the local paper states he was taken ill abroad and hospitalised back to the UK. His SWB entry shows him to be discharged sick (392 xvi) from the army on 13th June 1917. The local paper, supported by BMD printout shows he died only 9 days later on 22nd June 1917, according to the paper still in hospital in Barrow.

Just wondered from those that have looked into no commemorations before if the above is a good starting point, and then obviosly i would apply to get Charles Cross death certifiate and see if it backed up the claim.

Kind Regards

chris

He does not appear on CWGC.

Whether he should is undecided by the evidence you have. It all depends on his cause of death.

It is tempting to assume that he died shortly after discharge of the same illness that caused his discharge - but he could also have been struck by some other complaint.

His death certificate is needed to progress. However, if this does show a connection, then you are in business.

Cheers for checking Terry. I will get his Death Certificate appled for and see what it throws up.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Terry and others

Have just got Charles Cross Death certificate through. It confirms his death on 22nd June 1917 in hospital. It lists his occupation as Pte. 1342 10th Lincs, and gives his address as 67 west Street, Scunthorpe. His cause of death is given as Pulmonary Tuberculosis. Did a bit of research into using google and it seems to have a relatively lengthy incubation period, certainly longer than the 9 days he had been discharged from the Army. Can a medical expert back me up or tell me otherwise. If Terry feels there is a case for inclusion, what is the next step???

Kind Regards

Chris

Chris

This certainly looks possible.

If you want GWF to progess the case, email me the details and scans of the certificate plus any other documents you have and we can put the case forward.