Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does this mean?

bruce

The MiC for the man I think was my great uncle is attached, but I have no idea what it means. Any help much appreciated!

Bruce

post-14409-1167393748.jpg

part2

part3

part4

part5

part6

post-14409-1167393827.jpg

post-14409-1167393901.jpg

post-14409-1167393943.jpg

post-14409-1167393983.jpg

post-14409-1167394020.jpg

as far as I recall when you download a mic you get 6 and yours is one of the 6 unless there are two to that person ( has been known to have more).

do you know which regiment he was in or his number. that should eliminate the wrong ones.

Good grief! Life often bits you in the bum whenever you get to feeling too clever.

I just hadn't realised that this page was for six men!!! Duh!

My great uncle is the first of them...7011 East Kents.

However, he seems to have also had two other numbers...why?

I did notice that one of the others was labelled "dead", which not only seemed a bit abrupt, but also confused me, as I have a photo of him in 1938 in the Rockies!

Any help with the first of them would be much appreciated!

Bruce

(whose only excuse for total brain-fade is Christmas!)

He was transferred between regiments. After being 7011 with the Buffs he moved on to become 24793 with the Queen's (Royal west Surrey Regiment) and then 95663 with the Royal Defence Corps.

He qualified for the British War and Victory Medals (this telling us that he did not go to a theatre of war before 1916). The code is a reference to his entry in the original roll of those medals, which should give you his battalions.

Thanks, Chris.

I knew there would be someone here who'd know!

Incidentally....although my wife might not agree....many thanks for setting up the Forum, upon which I have now spent many happy and informative hours. Thank you.

Bruce

and the rank is Private

I hope that I am correct in saying this (no doubt someone more knowledgeable will put me straight) but the fact that he ended his service with the Royal Defence Corps suggests that he was wounded to the extent that he was not fit enough to return to active overseas service.

So would I be right in thinking that he wwould be entitled to a Silver Wound Badge?

Regards,

Bob Norman

I hope that I am correct in saying this (no doubt someone more knowledgeable will put me straight) but the fact that he ended his service with the Royal Defence Corps suggests that he was wounded to the extent that he was not fit enough to return to active overseas service.

So wwould I be right in thinking that he wwould be entitled to a Silver Wound Badge?

First part is OK ;) , transfer to the Royal Defence Corps quite often followed a medical downgrading for whatever reason (wounds, sickness etc.)

A wounding, however, didn't entitle a soldier to a Silver War Badge, this was issued only when a soldier was discharged from the service because of his wounds (or a number of other reasons) and even then it wasn't automatic but had to be claimed. This soldier continued to serve with the Royal Defence Corps and as such wouldn't qualify.

Steve

This transfer does tie in well. I have three silks from him from Belgium in October 1916, then a couple of postcards from Italy in 1918, both with the franking of the Italian Red Cross. Am I thus right in thinking that he was wounded in Italy, and it was this that caused his transfer?

Bruce

Could his wound(s) have led to his transfer?

Bruce

Bruce

There were many reasons for transfers and whilst it is tempting to guess that it was due to wounds, try not to make assumptions.

One thing is for certain. He was transferred out of the Buffs before going to Italy as no Buffs Battalions went there.

I am surprised that he doesn't have a star. His Buffs number would have been prefixed with an L, G, SR or S. Men with any of these prefixes that had a number as low as 7011 were overseas by the end of 1915 unless they had been held back for some reason.

Your next step is to try and find his service record. It is also worth digging out his medal roll. TP102B is the code for the RDF BWM/VM roll books. I have never seen an RDF roll but it may tell you which Battalions he served with.

Mick

Bruce

There were many reasons for transfers and whilst it is tempting to guess that it was due to wounds, try not to make assumptions.

One thing is for certain. He was transferred out of the Buffs before going to Italy as no Buffs Battalions went there.

I am surprised that he doesn't have a star. His Buffs number would have been prefixed with an L, G, SR or S. Men with any of these prefixes that had a number as low as 7011 were overseas by the end of 1915 unless they had been held back for some reason.

Your next step is to try and find his service record. It is also worth digging out his medal roll. TP102B is the code for the RDF BWM/VM roll books. I have never seen an RDF roll but it may tell you which Battalions he served with.

Mick

Thanks, Mick

I will try to do just that

Regards

Bruce

Sorry for butting in but what is RDF? I ask because I have been trying to decipher my Grandfathers (unreadable) records and this might help me find exactly when he was overseas.

RDF is Royal Dublin Fusiliers, but the roll in question is for the RDC, the Royal Defence Corps. (see first MIC in this post)

Hugh