Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

42 E Lancs

Kmurf

John

Lieut T Hayhurst MB RAMC 1st East Lancs Field Hospital was listed as lost when the Royal Edward was torpedoed and sunk on the 13th August 1915. See thread with list from The Times here

He is not however listed in the 42nd Division Roll of Honour in the History, and as the Royal Edward was carrying a lot of 29th Division replacements it may be that he'd transferred to one of the other East Lancs Field Ambulances.

Hope this is of help/interest

regards

Mike

Mike

Thanks - one of my local chaps, Capt C Marshall RAMC, also drowned.

Unless I've misunderstood Kmurf's query, I think s/he is asking about the voyage from the UK to Egypt.

John

John,

I agree on the original request relating to the outbound trip, which as you say was uneventful.

I remembered the threads on the Royal Edward as my G Grandfather could so nearly have been on it , serving as he did with the 2/2 ELFH, and he must have known some of the men killed. I couldn't remember which division they were with and so it was only when re-reading the Royal Edward thread that I spotted Lieut Hayhurst.......

It's the little things like this that I think make the reasearch so interesting.... was he on leave, or on secondment to a different unit, if the former why isn't he on the 42nd'sd Roll of Honour etc.... but I'll leave Kmurf to work those things out, or I'll never make any progress on my own stuff.

Kind regards

Mike

John

Lieut T Hayhurst MB RAMC 1st East Lancs Field Hospital was listed as lost when the Royal Edward was torpedoed and sunk on the 13th August 1915. See thread with list from The Times here

He is not however listed in the 42nd Division Roll of Honour in the History, and as the Royal Edward was carrying a lot of 29th Division replacements it may be that he'd transferred to one of the other East Lancs Field Ambulances.

Hope this is of help/interest

regards

Mike

I'm not sure if my grandfather was on his way to Egypt or maybe on his way to Gallioli or back home after Gallipoli but he was floating in the Sea for 24 hours according his daughter. If I knew what ship it was could possibly help finding out more of his tour in the Great War. Kevin

Kevin,

We were all beginners once, and I've found the members of this forum to be very generous with infomation and help, so it's a great place to start, as is the mother site.

Do you have any more details of your Grandfather..... full name, rank, battalion? Was he definitely East Lancs? I take it he survived the war.

cheers

Mike

Kevin,

We were all beginners once, and I've found the members of this forum to be very generous with infomation and help, so it's a great place to start, as is the mother site.

Do you have any more details of your Grandfather..... full name, rank, battalion? Was he definitely East Lancs? I take it he survived the war.

cheers

Mike

Thank you Mike, yes he survived till 1971. His full name was William Murphy a Private with the number of 3536 with the E Lancs R. which I believe is the East Lancashire since he was born in Liverpool in 1895. His Birth certificate says 98 Back Mount Street Much Woolton. Much Woolton I discovered was not designated an area of Liverpool until 1918 but he needed his birth certificate to came to Canada in 1925. Sorry if its too much info. He transferred to the MGC number 39670. He fought at Gallipoli ( I think he may have been on the Royal Edward, can I find that out somewhere?) and the Western front, Passchedale. Was gassed along the way. Just trying to determine his movements chronologically throughout the Great War. His service records I assume were destroyed in 1940. If not are they at the Kew?

Thanks so much, Kevin