Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment numbers expert

Kmurf

My grandfather was with the East Lancashire Regiment 3536. He was born in Liverpool. We were sure that he was at Mons but has the 1915 Star not the 1914 Star. I'm hoping to find what battles or theatres he fought in. Thank you, Kmurf

kmurf.

No battalion of the East Lancs took part at Mons, though the 1st Battalion took part in some of the actions during the retreat. However, seeing as your Grandad was only entitled to the 1914-15 Star, we can discount his participation in this too. If you look up his MIC, it'll give you the date he arrived overseas and the theatre where he arrived.

Dave

Hi Kmurf, just found your other post and realised that William Murphy is your Grandfather. He would have been transfered from the East Lancs to the MGC, have you downloaded his MIC ,cheers, Jon

kmurf.

No battalion of the East Lancs took part at Mons, though the 1st Battalion took part in some of the actions during the retreat. However, seeing as your Grandad was only entitled to the 1914-15 Star, we can discount his participation in this too. If you look up his MIC, it'll give you the date he arrived overseas and the theatre where he arrived.

Dave

Hi Dave, I have his MiC and as far as I can tell it says only that he was at Gallipoli. But could a low number of 3536 be part of the first battalion?

Hi Kmurf, just found your other post and realised that William Murphy is your Grandfather. He would have been transfered from the East Lancs to the MGC, have you downloaded his MIC ,cheers, Jon

Yes I have it

A number that low in the Regular battalions would have been issued around 1890.

More likely that he joined a Territorial Force (T.F.) battalion - either the 1/4th or 1/5th Battalion in 42nd Division, who coincidentally fought at Gallipoli.

http://www.1914-1918.net/eastlancs.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/42div.htm

Steve.

The entry on the Medal card is only the FIRST theatre of war served in. The cards were designed as a tool to engrave the medals, and as an index to the Medal Rolls, so don't hold every detail of a man's service (not even close in fact).

Steve.

More likely that he joined a Territorial Force (T.F.) battalion - ...

That would be my opinion too.