Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MM MIC Help

wulsten

Any help on Kings Royal Rifle Corps info, Lewis Harold Wall died 30/11/1917 Cpl R/3210, he is remembered on the Cambrai memorial, Louveral.

He was gazetted for the Military Medal 2nd April 1918. See Attached scan. The MM MIC has in the top right corner ITALY can anyone offer any ideas or info on this mic

Or were any KRRC units engaged in italy

post-9296-1167321460.jpg

but the 11th were part of 20th Div which did not (as far as I can remember deploy to Italy); they did however fight during the Kaiserslacht and the battle drew tro an end on 4th Aprilm 1918 so thet date would match

Suggest you amend your thead title to attract those with a copy of the history of the 20th Division and who could help

Thanks for the info, the date in 1918 however causes a problem because he died before Cambrai in Nov 1917, i wonder if he served in a previous battalion ? but would thuis be listed on the mm mic as he died serving with the 11th Batt ?

The announcement of his MM in the Gazette will have been several months after the event for which it was awarded. One would usually allow at least 2-3 months but in this case it would seem to be at least 4 months.

His battalions with the KRRC will be listed on his British War & Victory Medal Roll. This might offer a clue as to "Italy" being mentioned on his MIC.

I would be happy to look at this on a forthcoming trip to Kew. However given work that I already have on it would be towards the end of next week at the earliest.

Mike Shingleton

Ive got a MM to the 5th Btn coldstream gds - and they never went overseas

My guess is that the card is the Btn he was in at the time and maybe not the one he won it in ?

wulsten

received and replied. :P

Regards

Mike S

I was at Kew yesterday and took a look at the medal rolls.

They show service only with the 11th battalion KRRC.

Which doesn't explain "ITALY". :(

Can send you photos of the BW&VM and 1915 Star rolls if you like. If so pm me your e-mail address.

Cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, thanks for the scans of the medal rolls for Lewis Harold Wall, it is interesting that they both seem to show only service with the 11th Batt, with no explanation for the remark of Italy on the MM mic, could be a mistake ?, again many many thanks and it is much appreciated for the time spent checking the rolls.