Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian female house surgeon Egginton Military Hospital

John Gilinsky

Dr. Mary Runnells Bird (married name Mrs. Charles Glover Bird)

Born: Milton, Quebec, Canada August 1875

Died: ?

January 1905 married Charles Glover Bird

M.D. McGill University, 1916

Medical Director of Child Welfare Work, Derby, England during or just after the war(?)

House Surgeon at Egginton Military Hospital, England for 3 years

Practiced medicine when she returned to Canada in Montreal early 1920s - ?

According to the very extensive thread on military hospitals in England a Mrs. Dugdale in or near Buxton(?), Derbyshire operated Egginton Hall as a military hospital and presumably this is one and the same that Dr. Bird was the house surgeon to.

Does anyone have ANYTHING else (or know where I can find anything else!) on this particular interesting early Canadian female surgeon, her war services and her life as well as Egginton Hall as a military hospital?

Does the building(s) or the estate still survive? Where is (was?) it located?

Thanks,

John

Toronto,

Canada

The village of Egginton has a website - www.egginton.org.uk and the history section mentions Egginton Hall briefly - and says it was pulled down in 1954

I think Mrs Dugdale was the wife of Colonel Arthur Dugdale CMG DSO whose brief obit appeared in The Times 29th April 1941 - unfortunately I can't get it to "copy and paste" - (must find out from Stebie (the expert) on how to do this)

It says he commanded the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars in WW1

Sue

Hello John,

Thanks for PM. Best I can do is this:-

The only mention of Mrs Dugdale was when an article related how hundreds of casualties had been taken from Derby Railway Station to the local hospital and other locations which included Mrs Dugdale. That is all.

Image of the hall at click here and search on Egginton.

In Kelly's Book of the Landed Gentry 1927, the man Sue refers to is recorded as most of her details but his residence is given as - Sezincote, Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire which ties with his command of the Hussars.

Stuart

Try this website. Borden Battery

War Story of the Canadian Army Medical Corps

This is a very comprehensive "on-line" book on the Canadian Army Medical Corps during the Great War. This on-line book of some 300 pages [with text, figures and footnotes] includes the following chapters an Introduction, Rise of the CAMC, Assembly at Valcartier, Salisbury Plain, With the BEF in France, Second Battle of Ypres (Gas), Festubert, Givenchy, Plugstreet, Establishment of Hospitals in France, Stationary Hospitals and Other Medical Units. [Recommendation by marc leroux / www.canadianGreatWarProject.com][CEF Study Group - Jan 2006]

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/adami/camc/camc.html

War Story of the Canadian Army Medical Corps

Thanks for intro to this site, Borden. Don't remember seeing the book during my 2 years at CFMSS Base Borden - but perhaps I wasn't looking then.

Saved it as a download, but pictures and diagrams haven't transferred ocer (just that cursed little red cross (apposite) - any hints?

Chris

Lieut-Colonel

Group: Old Sweats

Member No.: 1,969

Oh, forgot, and congratulations on your 1000th post, Borden

:P

Chris

Hello Chris and thanks for noting the milestone - slow and steady research and contributions on this.

North Yorkshire - anywhere near Linton-on-Ouse? My father was stationed there as a Fl/Lt in the RCAF and flew Halifaxes into France and Germany in WWII.

If you send me your private email, I can forward the master list of Recommended Great War websites as collected by the CEF Study Group.

Borden Battery / Dwight Mercer

North Yorkshire - anywhere near Linton-on-Ouse? If you send me your private email, I can forward the master list of Recommended Great War websites as collected by the CEF Study Group.

About 50 miles NW of Linton, I pass close be en route to York WFA meetings.

Sending email address to you, thanks for the offer.

Chris

Hello John,

Thanks for PM. Best I can do is this:-

The only mention of Mrs Dugdale was when an article related how hundreds of casualties had been taken from Derby Railway Station to the local hospital and other locations which included Mrs Dugdale. That is all.

A) Can you please give us the article reference (source)?

Image of the hall at click here and search on Egginton.

B) I did try searching under Egginton and entered Buxton and Derbyshire for the other fields and altered these a bit but still could NOT locate any records. Can you please precise record field data that one should enter to obtain image(s) of Egginton Hall?

In Kelly's Book of the Landed Gentry 1927, the man Sue refers to is recorded as most of her details but his residence is given as - Sezincote, Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire which ties with his command of the Hussars.

Thanks so much Stuart for the above help.

John

Toronto

P.S. Do you live in or near Buxton?

Keen on finding out about the Canadian Special Hospital in Buxton itself in the formerly called Empire Hotel.

(still standing!)

Stuart

The source was The Derby Mercury Newspaper dated July 7th 1916 : Column Heading "Ambulance Work / Derby centre's Activities

I did try searching under Egginton and entered Buxton and Derbyshire for the other fields and altered these a bit but still could NOT locate any records. Can you please precise record field data that one should enter to obtain image(s) of Egginton Hall?

Go to Click

Fourth tab from the left click "Search the Images"

Click "Accept" on that page.

In the top field where it states "Enter words to search for in the box below" insert one word "Egginton" and click search. the image DCHQ501832 should be the one you require, zoom in.

No

Keen on finding out about the Canadian Special Hospital in Buxton itself in the formerly called Empire Hotel.

(still standing!)

When at the search page above use the two search words Empire Hotel in the field I have described - nothing else anywhere and you should images of the hotel and being demolished.

Good Luck

Stuart

The source was The Derby Mercury Newspaper dated July 7th 1916 : Column Heading "Ambulance Work / Derby centre's Activities

Is this newspaper digitized(presumably microfilmed 1960s-1970s?)or even available online?

I did try searching under Egginton and entered Buxton and Derbyshire for the other fields and altered these a bit but still could NOT locate any records. Can you please precise record field data that one should enter to obtain image(s) of Egginton Hall?

Go to Click

Fourth tab from the left click "Search the Images"

Click "Accept" on that page.

In the top field where it states "Enter words to search for in the box below" insert one word "Egginton" and click search. the image DCHQ501832 should be the one you require, zoom in.

Do I enter Derby, Derbyshire or something else though for the locations?

No

(still standing!)

When at the search page above use the two search words Empire Hotel in the field I have described - nothing else anywhere and you should images of the hotel and being demolished.

My understanding is that the hotel was renamed Palace Hotel and that the main building from the latter 19th century I believe it was built around 1870 or so still stands as one of the major luxury hotels in Buxton.

Thanks Stuart for your consideration and information.

John

Good Luck

Stuart

post-7558-1167448720.jpg

The above is from the Egginton Village official web site and shows the reconstructed from 1994 Egginton Hall which in the early 1950s was demolished.

John

Toronto,CANADA