Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What kit was issued per man?

alliekiwi

What is a body band?

Jon

Belts, Abdominal, Flannel. Also known as cholera bands.

From Third Australian General Hospital, dated 22 March, 1918 to ADMS , Abbeville and Amiens areas.

"... The fetish of the cholera belt as a protection against typhoid or cholera need not now be upheld in view of the adequate protection by innoculation...During Winter weather, when cholera and dysentry as a rule are not epidemic, and as far as I am aware during the present campaign in France have never been endemic, there appears to be no justification for continuing the use of abdominal belts, the useful purpose of which at any time is debateable."

Very late in the war, it was recommended that they be withdrawn because " soldiers very much dislike wearing these belts as they encourage & harbour vermin. Consequently the belts are discarded after a few days wear, and if not thrown away they are used for cleaning rifles etc."

It was decided to cease the issue of body bands to the Troops, and it was deleted from the scale of clothing for British Troops laid down in GRO 2621.

Chris Henschke

Hello all,

'Tabs on greatcoat' refer to a set of cloth tabs and tinplate buttons that were issued to raise the hem of the greatcoat. They consisted of small, drill, tombstone shaped tabs which were sewn inside the greatcoat hem. The buttons were attached further, up again inside the greatcoat. The idea was that the bottom of the coat could then be folded up inside and buttoned in position, thereby shortening the coat when in muddy or wet conditions.

I have one of these coats with tabs in situ and also an unused set of tabs and buttons still attached to a length of cord.

Can't recall of the top of my head when they were introduced but I think it may have been winter 1916. I'm away from home at the moment and can't look it up. There is an illustration in the relevant GRO which Joe will undoubtedly have to hand!! Can you oblige Joe?

regards

Paul

Paul,

The earliest I found instructions for modifying a Great coat in this fashion was General Routine Order 3295 in February 1918 (actually approved 31 Jan 1918).

Here is a photo of an actual modified coat to compliment the Chris H's post .

Joe Sweeney

post-57-1167317986.jpg

The earliest I found instructions for modifying a Great coat in this fashion was General Routine Order 3295 in February 1918.

Joe Sweeney

Joe, I'm sure I've got something that is early 1917. I'll dig it out for you.

Chris Henschke

Belts, Abdominal, Flannel. Also known as cholera bands.

From Third Australian General Hospital, dated 22 March, 1918 to ADMS , Abbeville and Amiens areas.

"... The fetish of the cholera belt as a protection against typhoid or cholera need not now be upheld in view of the adequate protection by innoculation...During Winter weather, when cholera and dysentry as a rule are not epidemic, and as far as I am aware during the present campaign in France have never been endemic, there appears to be no justification for continuing the use of abdominal belts, the useful purpose of which at any time is debateable."

Very late in the war, it was recommended that they be withdrawn because " soldiers very much dislike wearing these belts as they encourage & harbour vermin. Consequently the belts are discarded after a few days wear, and if not thrown away they are used for cleaning rifles etc."

It was decided to cease the issue of body bands to the Troops, and it was deleted from the scale of clothing for British Troops laid down in GRO 2621.

Chris Henschke

To illustrate some of the changes Chris talks about here is the first page of a slightly modified Clothing scale as found in GRO 2621--This modification is as Nov 1917. Note no Body band and no cotton drawers at all for mounted troops.

scan0013kh8.jpg

Here is what the Body band actually looked liked (there were three patterns in use in the Great War). These were reintroduced in Nov 1914 (from an 1892 pattern) after having been out of British inventory for about a decade. They were re-introduced as winter clothing and were meant to protect against the cold and be a supplementary garment--cholera belt is a bit of a misnomer (however that is what everyone called them) in this useage and a carry-over from 19th century use. Being used as cholera belts was never the intent when re-introduced. All of these belts were declared obsolete in 1918.

Joe Sweeney

post-57-1167319226.jpg

Well, not early 1917...mid 1917. but I have been to the pub and it is 0200h here in Australia!

Joe, Tabs.

This is from ‘Extracts from Routine Orders (A.I.F. Depots in United Kingdom from 1st June, 1916) Relating to “Q” Matters. It in part reads;

“No. 598. 13th June, 1917. Addition of Tabs and buttons to Greatcoats of Royal Engineer and Infantry Reinforcements Proceeding to France.

The following A.C.I. is published for information :-

No. 892. Addition of Tabs and Buttons to Greatcoats of Royal Engineers and Infantry Reinforcements Proceeding to France…….Officers Commanding Units concerned will take the necessary steps to ensure that all greatcoats in possession of me proceeding to France are completed with tabs and buttons before leaving this country. (54/Gen. No./2533, Q.M.G. 7.)…”

Chris Henschke

Well, not early 1917...mid 1917. but I have been to the pub and it is 0200h here in Australia!

Joe, Tabs.

This is from ‘Extracts from routine Orders (AIF Depots in United Kingdom from 1st June, 1916) Relating to “Q” Matters. It in part reads;

“No. 598. 13th June, 1917. Addition of Tabs and buttons to Greatcoats of Royal Engineer and Infantry Reinforcements Proceeding to France.

The following A.C.I. is published for information :-

No. 892. Addition of Tabs and Buttons to Greatcoats of Royal Engineers and Infantry Reinforcements Proceeding to France…….Officers Commanding Units concerned will take the necessary steps to ensure that all greatcoats in possession of me proceeding to France are completed with tabs and buttons before leaving this country. (54/Gen. No./2533, Q.M.G. 7.)…”

Chris Henschke

Chris,

That was fast and much appreciated. This adds a lot to the knowledge bin. Not the first time that BEF general routine orders were lagging behind.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe,

To echo Chris I'm sure I've seen an earlier reference to them which is why I thought it was winter 1916. There are several well known photos showing greatcoat that have clearly had the bottom few inches hacked off with a jacknife. As you say the ACIs and GROs often lagged well behind the actual introduction of certain items.

A good one is the use of the SBR on 1st July 1916 by the 11th Suffolks and I'm sure other Battalions who were trialling them at the time. Check this link for more detail:

http://www.curme.co.uk/p.htm

regards

Paul

maybe we should try and illustrate all the small kit as these questions keep coming up. I have things like the vests, drawers, cardigan, shirts etc but it might take a few days!

Paul,

Who-ever gets around to it first might want to start documenting some of this in a new Thread. I might start the thread-off with a few items. I'd love to see some of those items I don't have especially that Cardigan etc.

The hacking off of the bottoms of Greatcoats was very frowned upon. GRO 1850 and 2855 were global condemnations of altering garments in this fashion (a good sign it was happening). If you find anything earlier than Chris's ACI that would be great. I went back and double checked the GROs issued by the BEF and the earliest mention is GRO 3295, which stated:

"A slight change in the pattern of greatcoat, to enable the man to button up the skirts and so keep them clear of mud and water, has been authorized. Two rows of eight buttons are provided, one row to allow the skirt to be raised high enough to clear the knees, the other to raise it higher when working in deep water.

Buttons and tabs can be obtained from A.O.D and the attachment to the coat will be carried out under regimental arrangements. (4/39 (Q.A. 3) dated 31 Jan 1918)"

The diagram that Chris posted was also included.

There is no preceeding or cancelled GRO to this. I actually think GRO 3295 might have been inspired by the arrival of replacements with coats already configured. But all the GRO did was make the supply of the buttons and tabs indentable and issued specific instructions on how to modify the coat. There may have been an unofficial practice of modifying coats at unit or individual level in this fashion. Since hacking the skirts shorter was consider neglect and a soldier could be charged the cost of the coat. I think that would be a good inspiration for good soldiers to modify the coat without ruining it. I'd love if someone turned up any earlier record of this practice (What inspired the ACI?)

I'm not convinced that the Suffolks reference is to the use of the SBR on 1 July. If taken only in what the War Diary said then I believe it is a reference to just what it says, the "Box Respirator". Box Respirators were intended to be issued to Machine Gunners and Lewis Gunners (SS 401 details "Instructions for the Use of the Box Respirator, 3/16"). Nearly 220,000 to 250,00 were issued starting in January 1916 through the end of the year. Do you have another reference that specifically states SBR in use by the 11th Suffolks on 1 July?

I know that how these respirators were referenced varied and the SBR was also called a Box Respirator in many documents, but given the time frame this reference is very much applicable to just the Harrisons tower, "Large" Box Respirator

There is quite a lot of information from the Ant-Gas Department on the production history of the SBR still in the archives. 1 July is right on the border line for the SBR--major production beginning in July--Major issues in Aug with trials prototypes preceeding in June. The actual final design for the SBR was not decided until July. There were quite a few designs in competetion for the replacement to the Box Respirator and few are well documented, nor how they used on a trial basis in France--except that some of the NA records say this was common practice.

Take care,

Joe Sweeney

Paul,

The earliest I found instructions for modifying a Great coat in this fashion was General Routine Order 3295 in February 1918 (actually approved 31 Jan 1918).

Here is a photo of an actual modified coat to compliment the Chris H's post .

Joe Sweeney

Fascinating, do you have any better photo's or a description of the buttons used and the material for the tabs, as I am tempted now to modify my greatcoat for living history as it seems such a practical thing to be able to do!

Fascinating stuff! Thank you so much for sharing all this information and the photos. I love this sort of discussion, even if I've nothing to add to it.

Allie

Fascinating, do you have any better photo's or a description of the buttons used and the material for the tabs, as I am tempted now to modify my greatcoat for living history as it seems such a practical thing to be able to do!

Andrew,

The buttons on my coat are all four hole black jappaned steel. Same as found on trousers. These were war time substitutes so they may have also used the normal four hole zinc buttons as both are the same size.

The tabs are simple cotton canvas. My digi camera isn't working and I have to replace. Once I get a replacement I'll post better pics. FYI, the article I wrote for Militaria has much better pics in it.

Joe Sweeney

"...maybe we should try and illustrate all the small kit as these questions keep coming up. I have things like the vests, drawers, cardigan, shirts etc but it might take a few days!..."

I don't know if this is is of help, but take a quick look at the garment worn by Wilfred Bramble in the two illustrations, I belive it is a much distressed* Army issue Cardigan.

Tom

steptoe2.jpg

Steptoe1.jpg

* Probably much distressed at the hands of the BBC costumes department

Andrew,

The buttons on my coat are all four hole black jappaned steel. Same as found on trousers. These were war time substitutes so they may have also used the normal four hole zinc buttons as both are the same size.

The tabs are simple cotton canvas. My digi camera isn't working and I have to replace. Once I get a replacement I'll post better pics. FYI, the article I wrote for Militaria has much better pics in it.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks for that Joe, I look forward to seeing the pics when you get the chance.

• 1 month later...

Andrew,

I hope this photos will suffice.

The earliest orders I found for the modification of this type in any theatre were in Salonika. On 25 Set. 1917 the Army in Salonika issued GRO 1345 which had the ACI instruction almost verbatim.

Tabs and buttons to be attached by soldiers themselves.

post-57-1170613437.jpg

post-57-1170613506.jpg

• 4 months later...

Some pictures of my greatcoat, now modified with buttons and tabs (I made some slight changes to reduce the chance of damaging the coat):

post-2039-1183131637.jpg

Sorry the pictures aren't better, but it's not an easy thing to take pictures of!

Bit of a close up - if there's any interest, I can take a few pictures of the coat buttoned at the different levels:

post-2039-1183131815.jpg

post-2039-1183131917.jpg