Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bromin in the water?

Thomas

I'm not quite sure what this topic this comes under but what the hell. During a GCSE chemistry lesson whe were talking about the chemical bromin and our teacher said that during the Great War bromin was put in to water to lower soldiers sex drive. Is this true?

I'd have an educated guess at saying that yes it is true. It was certainly put in the tea during exercises and, occasionally, in N.I. during my time! :unsure:

Dave.

You amaze me, Dave. I always thought that it was one of those service myths. Don't think it ever happened during my not-very-demanding OTC and CCF career. Mind you, come to think of it....

Now here's the science bit. Bromine (not bromin) is one of, or closely related to one of, the active ingredients of Librium; the well known depressant.

It is unlikely to be a specific anti-sexdrive drug and was probably not added to the tea. My experiences of forces tea lead me to believe the myth arose from the fact that tea always tasted 'funny'. Usually due to poor quality tea leaves, indifferent water supplies, and lousy cooks.

Garth

(son in law of Army Catering Corps L/Cpl who still can't make a decent cup of tea at the age of 80+)

I'm not quite sure what this topic this comes under but what the hell. During a GCSE chemistry lesson whe were talking about the chemical bromin and our teacher said that during the Great War bromin was put in to water to lower soldiers sex drive.

Hence the old joke.

Two Chelsea Pensioners in conversation. The first one said "Harry, do you remember that stuff they put in the tea to take our minds off of the ladies. when we were in the trenches?" "Yes" said Albert. To which Harry replied "Well, I think it's starting to work".

Garth,

You're quite right, army tea does taste funny-it's the only kind I still put sugar in for that reason. Mind you nothing tastes as odd as the powdered tea that comes in the Ration Packs. Heaven alone knows what weird chemicals are in that concoction.

Simon

Dunn is probably right. Chemically bromine is in the same class of elements as chlorine, iodine, and fluorine. As a group they are known as the 'halogens', as in modern car headlights.

But one of the salts of bromine can be used as a depressant. Just as one of the salts of chlorine is "Table Salt - sodium chloride", and another 'salt' of chlorine is hydrochloric acid. Do not sprinkle hydrochloric acid on your food as a condiment.

Garth

Thanks for everyone's replies but since I do science through the welsh language I spell most of the elements differently such as bromine that's why I spelt it incorrectly when I first posted the topic.

Is it Bromide or Bromine?; Is it Chloride or Chlorine?.

A Bromide is a binary compound of bromine with another element such as,for example the element Potassium to create Potassium Bromide, ie a salt of Potassium.

Sodium Chloride is a binary compound of the element Sodium and Chlorine which produces a salt of Sodium, commonly called salt.

Chemists tend to losely address these compounds as salts,ie the salts of Bromine are called Bromides and some salts of Chlorine are referred to as Chlorides.

Bromides have traditionally been used to effect a depression of the central nervous system and have been widely used for sedative purposes.Overdoses can result in permanent damage to the central nervous system.

PB,ie Pyridostigime Bromide,another bromide has been made available in tablet form during the latest operations in Iraq as a medical countermeasure for the central nervous system against the potential effects of soman nerve gas poisoning.No doubt the troops would have been told to take their "bromide" tablets or PBs ...........

Regarding the use of bromide in the dosing of drinks for personnel.When I served as a NS,it was said that the tea was dosed during the "induction and square bashing period" with bromide to suppress sexual drive.If it was ,it was likely to have been Potassium Bromide which would be used as a slight sedative to counter those who had problems with the harsh discipline meted out in those days or were regarded as "highly strung." The taste of the tea was probably down to the price of the tea,ie' the specification laid down by military procurement.Then it was not of your Yorkshire Tea quality and then fused at the correct temperature.

If the drink was dosed for suppressing sexual energy, then I have to tell you it did not work.On the other hand it was probably a myth.I worked a week on cookhouse fatiques as we all did in turn during the "square bashing regime" and I never saw any evidence of dosing.Plenty of grub to plunder on the side but dosing of any drinks,as far as I can recollect ,no.

Regarding sexual drive suppression ,the military authoritories had the weapon of medical propaganda.The graphic film of VD and its causes, mandatory shown at induction was always sure to get a reaction if only keeling over in the isles.I don't think the film would be allowed to be shown to the general public in this present day.

Regards

Frank East