Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Examination Steamer Empress

chrisharley9

I would be very grateful for any details on this vessel - was she a naval vessel or Merchant Navy?

Chris

David

no that is not the one - thanks for looking her up anyway

Chris

How about this one?

Empress 1907 Folkestone / Dover - Calais / Boulogne, 1914-1918 taken over by Royal Navy, 1923 transferred to France. 1,689 grt. Owned by South Eastern & Chatham Railway Company.

Best wishes

David

David

thanks very much for that

All The Best

Chris

Would this be the Seaplane Carrier HMSEmpress?

I'm not sure what we mean by "Examination Steamer" - unless she became redundant as a Seaplane Carrier and was converted to another role - but this vessel was originally a cross-channel ferry and the other details sound about right.

Adrian

post-3755-1167269185.jpg

Adrian

I have just ordered the DC of the Captain in 1916 to see what this brings

Thanks very much for posting this photo

Chris

Wonder if this expression refers to small vessels used by the navy to peform boarding duties to check for contraband, when enforcing the blockade of Germany. Hence 'examination'. There was a mention of this type of vessel in a recent topic.

Ian

Ian

This something I have been wondering about - when the DC arrives I post more

Chris

The DC just shows the "Examination Steamer Empress" so some delving to be done

Chris

How about this one?

Empress 1907 Folkestone / Dover - Calais / Boulogne, 1914-1918 taken over by Royal Navy, 1923 transferred to France. 1,689 grt. Owned by South Eastern & Chatham Railway Company.

Best wishes

David

Have just seen a picture of a railway paddle steamer at Dover & will post more later

Chris

As the Master of the Empress was from Weymouth I reckon that she was PS Empress operated by Cosens & Co of Weymouth - what i can find is that there is a very high likelihood that she was hired to the Navy as an Examination Ship - anyone know where i can look - she did survive the Great War

Chris

As the Master of the Empress was from Weymouth I reckon that she was PS Empress operated by Cosens & Co of Weymouth - what i can find is that there is a very high likelihood that she was hired to the Navy as an Examination Ship - anyone know where i can look - she did survive the Great War

Chris

Chris

The PS Empress you are refering to above was the one skippered by Francis Merryweather prior to being broken up in 1955. She was hired for examination service but only in WW2.

EMPRESS Paddle 173/79. Hired for examination service 26.8.1930 -11.1.41 and 13.3.44-8.11.44.

From vol.2 J.J.Colledge

Hope this helps

John

John

The master of the Vessel in 1916 is Lewis St Barbe Rawle & his DC states that the vessel was an examination vessel at Newhaven so the mystery deepens

Chris

John

The master of the Vessel in 1916 is Lewis St Barbe Rawle & his DC states that the vessel was an examination vessel at Newhaven so the mystery deepens

Chris

Chris

I suppose you may have seen this site regarding Empress, it mentions Captain Rawle but nothing of her time during WW1, at least there is a nice picture of her.

Empress

Regards

John

John

thanks for that - had seen that web site - sometimes this gets very frustrating

Chris