Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regt.

Tony Lund

I am trying to tidy up what happened to the Holmfirth men in the 8th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment, who landed at Suvla Bay on the night of Friday August 6th as part of the 32th? Infantry Brigade in the 11th Northern Division.

I am most interested in what happened during the first few days after the landing and Saturday August 21st 1915 and the days just before and after that date. I think the first step should be to order their war diary for the month of August. Unless of course someone already has it.

In the meantime I have a couple of books of my own and three more from the library, plus the personal information on the Holmfirth men who died, a few letters and newspaper reports etc. I would be most grateful for any information regarding this battalion.

Thanks,

Tony.

Mate,

From the book "British Regts at Gallipoli" by Ray Westlake

"The Bn landed at Suvla on the 6th Aug at B Beach and moved forward in attack on Lala Baba which it was engaged day and night and heavy losses.

The Bn withdraw to a rest area on the 8th Aug but was moved to the area Tekke Tepe Ridge on the 9th Aug and took part in the advance and fighting at the Cut.

Releived on the 11th Aug and moved to the beach area.

It was moved to the area Chocolate Hill on the 13th Aug to man the treaches and was relieved on the 19th Aug.

On the 21st Aug the Bn was brought up with the 9th West Yorkies to attack Ismail Oglu Tepe, and fought at Hetman Chair and Green hill and again suffered heavy losses untill releived on the 23rd Aug.

It moved into the trenches at Jephson's Post on the 27th Aug."

This covers the first month on Suvla and "Westlakes" book goes on in Sept and beyound.

Cheers

S.B

Thank you Steve, that is really useful to me. It also means I do not have to order that book from the library now, which helps because I have a few on order at the moment.

The description fits the facts where local casualties are concerned, and is more realistic than the usual descriptions of Suvla where everyone is either drinking tea or going for a paddle in the sea.

Thanks again,

Tony.

Mate,

I wouldn't discount that either as like most wars not all are doing things at once.

On dought there were soldiers siting around drinking tea and taking a paddle, but a greater part of the Army was advancing and fighting.

The confussion on the beach is well documented so yes they did drink tea before someone took charge and got the show moving forward.

That short period of confussion on the beach cost many there lives.

Cheers

S.B

I have found a General Staff study by America’s General Patton that says the 34th & 32nd Infantry Brigades (which includes the 8th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment in the 34th) were recalled to the beach after the capture of Chocolate and Green Hills.

Hopefully the war diary will be one of those that are full of detail, I shall have to wait and see.

This is going to be a complicated few days, both after the landing and around the 21st, so any little bits of information that relate to this battalion, or the 32th Brigade, or the 11th Division, or any of their senior officers, will be most welcome.

The 64 page document from General Patton is Here.

The Suvla Bay section starts on page 46.

Tony.

I have found a General Staff study by America’s General Patton that says the 34th & 32nd Infantry Brigades (which includes the 8th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment in the 34th) were recalled to the beach after the capture of Chocolate and Green Hills.

Hopefully the war diary will be one of those that are full of detail, I shall have to wait and see.

This is going to be a complicated few days, both after the landing and around the 21st, so any little bits of information that relate to this battalion, or the 34th Brigade, or the 11th Division, or any of their senior officers, will be most welcome.

The 64 page document from General Patton is Here.

The Suvla Bay section starts on page 46.

Tony.

I hope you find the diaries as many were destroyed in the evacuation. I have two reports on the landing. One officer says that they enjoyed a relaxed time on 6/7th and swam in the sea. Another man from the same battalion said it was hell with machine gun fire and shelling. from my own research, there seem to have been few casualites on 6/7th but as you know many on 8th and 21st.

Best of luck

stevem

I hope you find the diaries as many were destroyed in the evacuation.

stevem

I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll find out next week when things are back to normal working.

Tony.

Mate,

Yes after the Green hill fight they were relieved on the 23rd Aug.

"They left the beach area for the trenches below Jephson's Post on the 27th Aug."

That means they must have returned to the beach on either late 23rd or 24th Aug after the Green hill fight and had a few days to rest and recover and left for the front again from the beach on the 27th Aug.

Cheers

S.B

I have found a General Staff study by America’s General Patton ...The 64 page document from General Patton is Here.

Tony,

I can add nothing of any substance to the thread, but this is the first time I have come across the Patton document. It makes interesting reading.

Thanks for posting the link.

Can any pals comment on its accuracy? (without hijacking the thread?)

Nick

quote: Can any pals comment on its accuracy? (without hijacking the thread?)

Nick,

You'll find some comments here on an earlier thread

regards

Michael

Thanks Michael,

I have read a few pages and picked up some of the gems already.

Still, it's worth reading.

Regards

Nick

The War Diary for the 8th Battalion during August is on the way at a cost of only £6. 10 pence including postage.

I made a mistake with the Brigade number, it is the 32nd and not the 34th, so I have corrected that.

If anyone has anything to add while we wait for the diaries please feel free, the more information there is to go at the better.

Tony.