Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haifa War Cemetery

michaeldr

Hi Michael

just had another look at his records. It has him down (albeit in the margin) as a STOCK KEEPER Group 1 M1. May be of no help at all. He may just have been kept there as he was to ill to travel?

Quote:

Posted EEF 19.09.1917

Embark Southhampton 19.09.1917

Disembark Cherboug 20.09.1917

Posted 54th Cy coy - 30.10.1917

Embark ??.??.1917 - HS Aragon

Disembark 16.10.1917 - Alexandria.

19.10.1917 Join 54th at Shallufa.

He then spent quite a bit of time in Hospitals ( Shallufa,Ismalia,Alexandria an finaly Hailfa) with skin problems, Sand fly fever and eventualy Malaria

Peter,

That is excellent detail: thank you

However, it still leaves me with the conflicting gen. from The Long, Long Trail:

"Divisional Mounted Troops East Anglian Divisional Cyclist Company - left February 1917" see http://www.1914-1918.net/54div.htm

So, when he was posted to the EEF on 19th September 1917, to which unit was he posted? Or, is The Long, Long Trail mistaken here? Does anyone have more definite information on the 54th Divisional Cyclist Company in 1917-1918?

regards

Michael

If you have a photograph of the headstone of 30012 Sgt G H Edkins, Staffs Yeomary, I would love to see it. He is commemorated on my local war memorial in Dudley.

Peter,

Thanks for your further thoughts on this

… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … …

John,

Happy to be able to help

P1010543.jpg

EDKINS

Initials: G H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Staffordshire Yeomanry

Unit Text: 1st/1st

Date of Death: 18/10/1918

Service No: 300012

Additional information: Son of William and Ellen Edkins; husband of Martha Emma Edkins, of 13, Springfield Grove, Sedgley, Dudley, Worcs. Born at Alcester, Warwickshire

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 15

Cemetery: HAIFA WAR CEMETERY

At the foot of the headstone is the inscription - Out of darkness gone into light

NB; can't find my notes at the moment, so not absolutely 100% sure of the above

I'd be very pleased if you can add some further information here on Serjeant Edkins

regards

Michael

Super, thanks. Alas, I have no more information to add.

Have you visited any other cemeteries in that part of the world?

John

Michael,

I have posted a request on the Ramleh thread. I hope you can oblige.

If you ever visit Amara, Damascus or Gaza I'll be in touch again!

Regards, and thanks,

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Gents,

Don't know if you know this...... Pte Norman Harvey won his VC in Ingoyghem, Flanders on 25/10/1918. He survived the war, maried and worked for the British Rail. In 1939 he enlisted again, 40 years old, and was sent to France with the 155th Field Workshop Coy ( RE) . Later he was sent to the Middle East and got killed on 16/02/1942. Not a WWI casualty, but a WWI VC winner.

Buried in Khayat Beach War Cemetery, Haifa, plot A, row A, grave 1

with kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

post-64837-0-09956400-1316544579.jpg

• 2 years later...

Yvonne,

Thank you for getting in touch.

I regret that I have no further information regarding your grandfather and I am very sorry that I cannot help you further with your research.

You may wish to contact John(txic) - see http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showuser=8979

He originally requested the G H Edkins headstone photograph, and by now he may possibly have some more information.

Good luck

Michael

• 4 years later...
On 05/03/2011 at 19:03, michaeldr said:

"In all, the campaign had cost seven Canadian lives, four ... from malaria and pneumonia. In addition to these, one man died from dysentery, another was killed by a locomotive and the last man was drowned while fishing in a tributary of the Yarmuk River."

[Caveat – "This is a preliminary narative and should not be regarded ar authoritative. It has not been checked for accuracy in all respects, and its interpretations are not necessarily those of the Historical Section as a whole." Compiled by Capt. J. A. Swettenham R.C.E.]

Capt. Swettenham's report is on the web: my apologies for not being technically able to provide more than the above quote at this time. Also please note that I have no way of knowing which of the above mentioned fates befell the two Canadians who lie in Haifa War Cemetery.

HADFIELD

Initials: J

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Canadian Railway Troops

Unit Text: 1st Bridging Coy.

Date of Death: 25/10/1918

Service No: 490648

P1010434.jpg

VIDITO

Initials: A

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Canadian Railway Troops

Unit Text: 1st Bridging Coy.

Date of Death: 23/11/1918

Service No: 470256

P1010428.jpg

It is now possible to say that Sapper J Hadfield died of pneumonia at No.33 Clearing Hospital Haifa - see https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/mass-digitized-archives/circumstances-death-registers/Pages/item.aspx?PageID=4437

Alas, in the case of  Sapper A Viditto "Volumes containing names beginning by Sip to Z have not survived." See  http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/mass-digitized-archives/circumstances-death-registers/Pages/circumstances-death-registers.aspx#b