Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell Green Cricket

PhilB

This is the famous cricket match as mentioned in a current thread. Can anyone supply a modern picture for comparison purposes? Phil B

post-2329-1166789861.jpg

Hi Phil

It was one I matched in my book Gallipoli Then and Now, if someone doesn't beat me to it I will happily scan a copy when I eventually get home tonight. Alas Lakeside, Christmas shopping, fog and some burks on the road are all likley to conspire to it not being as early as I would like!!!

Merry Christmas

Steve

Got your book steve , really enjoy refering back to it. I got to the peninsula in 89 , prior to all the .... shall we say ...improvments. havent been back. maybe oneday ?

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Dec 22 2006, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the famous cricket match as mentioned in a current thread. Can anyone supply a modern picture for comparison purposes? Phil B

I haven't got a comparative image, but I can say that the batsman playing the ball way out in front of him like that is not text book. <_<

Andy

Never regret growing old, because some people never have the privilege.

montbrehain love the signature!

Regards,

Neil.

The Australian cricket team stopped at Gallipoli on their way to the last couple of Ashes series in England. On one of them, I think 2001 rather than 2005, they replicated this picture but I don't know if they did so on the exact spot.

Allthough not much of a picture ? i thought this may be of interest ? I took it in 89. And Neil thanks for the comment .

post-13272-1166801692.jpg

Hi All

Many thanks for the kind comments and I'm glad the book was a useful companion for your vists. With the recent 'improvements' on the peninsula I have to say I'm glad I did the book when I did, although perhaps a Then and Now from 1999-2000 would be appropriate now!!

Apologies for the late affing of this but chasing relatives around various UK airports yesterday until 0400 didn't leave much time for scanning!!

I ahve attached the pictures but see now they are not showing on this posts as attached so if this hasn't worked they will follow.

Merry Christmas to all

Steve

Thanks, Steve - good match. It would be very interesting for visitors if WW1 photos were placed at points round the peninsula from which they were actually taken, so that the ground then and now could be compared in situ. Assuming they hadn`t bought your excellent book, of course! Or would they be too obtrusive?

I wish I hadn`t thrown away that old weatherbeaten bail my wife picked up at Shell Green now. ("Throw it away, woman. What`s a bail got to do with the Great War"). Just joking folks. Phil B

I have seen the picture of the australian team recreating the game at anzac i beleive it was in the newspaper i can't remember whether it was the same spot tho.

Interesting that the turks started shelling them i have read a story about the anzacs and how when they were playing two up (which for those who don't know is spinning two coins in the air an betting on how they will land 2 head, 2 tails or heads and a tail) and involved a circle of men watching the coins being spun in the air and apparently the turks would not fire on thm as they thought it was a religous ceremony :lol: