Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RN LSGC medal

CROONAERT

Not strictly WW1 (well, not at all actually! :D ), but I need a bit of suggestive help here.

All my family medals that I have in my possession , I've framed with a photo of my relative recipient, cap badges, other small items etc. I'd like to do the same with my Gt.Gt.Grandad's RN LSGC that came into my possesion recently. Unfortunately, in this case, the medal is all that I have - I've never even seen a photo of him, never mind possess one, nor do I have anything else at all that relates to his service.

I have his service record, plus the details on the medal and have managed to obtain photos of a couple of the ships he served on and that's it!

Can anyone suggest what else apart from the medal and a ship photo that I could put in the frame to make the overall image more personal to him?

Thanks

Dave.

(incidentally, the details on the medal are : Ts. Drinkwater Ships Corpl. HMS Duke of Wellington)

An HMS Wellington Cap Tally,Rank & Qualification Badges?

Thanks for the replies. Good thinking - I think I will look out for the rank badges and the tally of one of his earlier ships (the D.of Wellington was just a decommisioned training ship at the time of his service on it, even though it was once the pride of the fleet, and I'm unsure that he would have had a tally naming this one).

I've never seen a Ship's Corporal's insignia (I'm not too well up on the senior service) - did/does the crown differ with different monarchs, or was it of a standard type throughout time?

Cheers,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies. Good thinking - I think I will look out for the rank badges and the tally of one of his earlier ships (the D.of Wellington was just a decommisioned training ship at the time of his service on it, even though it was once the pride of the fleet, and I'm unsure that he would have had a tally naming this one).

I've never seen a Ship's Corporal's insignia (I'm not too well up on the senior service) - did/does the crown differ with different monarchs, or was it of a standard type throughout time?

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

Check this page http://www.godfreydykes.info/THE%20NAVAL%20UNIFORM.htm

It shows the badge perfectly, not very common though but you could use the current 'Regulating Branch' crown along with a Kings Crown Petty Officers crossed hooks.

Dave H.

(Did anything ever turn up regards those Soldiers Died?)

Hi Dave

As the Service Register doesn't record campaign medals, have you checked in case he wasn't issued with any other medals?

Per Mare

Hello Dave,

I believe she began life as HMS WINDSOR CASTLE at Pembroke Dock, but the old Iron Duke died on her launch day in 1852, so her name & figurehead were quickly altered. Went on to serve in the Baltic War. There is a lithograph of her launching at the Pembrokeshire County Record Office, though it isn't strictly of the period your ancestor served on her.

A very quick search turned up some nice photos on the following site:

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/duke_of_wellington.htm

Suggestion: you could use navy blue or similar backcloth for display, and diagonally across one or more corners fit short strips of LSGC ribbon for contrast? Used to work at the IWM and the exhibit case designers recommended this sort of touch to "lift" an otherwise pretty standard flat collection of items from the viewer's perspective.

If you know where he served whilst aboard various ships why not add some contemporary pictures (photos or engravings) of those places as well?

Regards,

LST_164