Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to trace a Marine?

nettie0036

Hi, a bit of a general question, how do you trace a marine ,when you only have a name and family story!!!

I am trying to trace Ernest Henry Thompson who is supposed to have been in the Red Marines? and reportedly been injured at the dardanelles. i visited Kew a few months ago, (that was an experience!!!) but didn't know where to start.I did find a Thompson (initial inconclusive ) who was injured in the way described by family members to me. Any advice on how to start my research would be very gratefully recieved.

Thanks Jeanette

Hi Nettie,

If he served in the Royal Marines then you should find him in this set of documents held at Kew:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...tm&lBack=-1

This second link should also give you clues as to how to go about it:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militar...rines/step2.htm

Steve

thanks Steve.....my dad talks about his father being in the Red marines, not the blue.........can anyone out there tell me the difference please

jeanette

Hi Nettie,

It's the difference between the Royal Marines and the Royal Marine Artillery.

Their uniforms were the blue like Royal Regiment of Artillery this earned them the nickname the "Blue Marines" and the Infantry element, who wore the scarlet uniforms of the British infantry, became known as the "Red Marines", often given the derogatory nickname "Lobsters" by sailors.

It dates back to 1804.

Steve

Dear Jeanette,

You need to start your search in the RM medal rolls on microfilm ADM/171/171. This will list all Marines named Ernest H. Thompson. Make a note of the service numbers & then go to the relevant ADM/159 service records (also on film). A fairly common name, so may take a while. If he was "Red marines" then you may check only RMLI numbers (CH, PLY & PO prefixes), leaving out the RMA, Deal & RME prefix numbers.

This method usually finds the Marine in question OK.

Good luck.

TTFN

John