Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Marooned' cemetery

withcall

A few years ago, we were on a walk somewhere near Grandcourt, I think, and we came across a small cemetery where the farmer had ploughed right around it, leaving no access by path. I seem to remember someone saying later that this was something of a long-running dispute between the farmer and the CWGC. Does anyone know which cemetery that was? My memory is probably addled with too much Bateman's Fine Ale, and I can't for the life of me remember where we were. We're going out on the 27th, and I'd like to go back and check it out.

I'm not sure which cemetery you refer to near Grandcourt, but this has happened at other cemeteries in the area, namely Hawthorn Ridge Cemetery No 1, to the East of Newfoundland Park and near the Hawthorn Ridge mine crater.

Up until a couple of years ago the grass path was intact, but the farmer has now ploughed it up, which I think is a bit short sighted, as if the path is left intact, the overwhelming majority of visitors will use it and no damage to crops will occur, however if it is ploughed up, then visitors are likely to walk wherever they like to reach it.

Rob.

It is Grandcourt Road Cemetery which I visited a few years ago now. I seem to remember that the problem was not so much the walk across the field, but where to park the car without it getting in the way of malignant tractors.

Ian

There are a number of cemeteries where this is the case, including both those already mentioned. There is a legal right of way, which once was marked by a path and or marker stones. Even if they are physically removed by the farmer, you still have the right of way. Thankfully this is rare with most farmers only too aware of the sacrifice and what these places mean.