Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Letter dated Sept 25th 1916

Willow

I have a letter written on Sept 25th 1916 to my grandfather, William Ogden, from (Mrs.) Lillian Ogden, c/o Mrs. Bennett, Fox Close, Grimsby.

She is asking him to provide her with details of "Mr. Treffry's death on the 15th".

I have found (on www.cwgc.org) that she is probably referring to a D.K.D.B. Treffry, Second Lieutenant, Coldstream Guards, 4th Bn. age 39 who died on Sept 15 1916.

If anyone has more information about what happened and/or where in regards to the days before his death, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Mrs. Ogden writes "In one of his letters to me he spoke so highly of you and told me what a splendid man you were and I know you took good care of him while he lived. Any particulars would be so much appreciated both by myself and his family. I do hope you have come through all right. Your names will go down in history for your bravery that day."

Let me know if you would like me to post a scan of the above letter.

I do not know at this time if Mrs. Lillian Ogden was related to William.

Best wishes,

"Oaky"

Hello Oaky,

Can I suggest that you obtain a copy of "Have you forgotten yet?" by

C. P. Blacker MC, GM. being the recollections of a 4th. Bn. Coldstream Guards officer during WW1 (ISBN 0 0 85052 729 5).

D. K. Treffry has 11 entries in the index and confirms he was mortally wounded near Ginchy on 15/9/16.

He was a Cornishman who had crossed the Atlantic to enlist etc.

Sorry too much info for my poor one finger typing. Treffry is burried alongside Asquith's son Raymond in Guillemont Road cemetery.

Best wishes Roy

Hello Oaky (again)

Index of book has 2 entries for Ogden, he was Treffry's servant (batman), also mention of his being wounded. Looks like you've struck gold!

Best wishes Roy

Thank you for your reply, BebboSapone.

Yes, my grandfather, William Ogden (#8253), was a Guardsman in the Coldstream Guards and served from January 13 1909 to May 16 1919. He was one of the "Old Contemptibles".

"Oaky"

Hello Oaky (again)

Index of book has 2 entries for Ogden, he was Treffry's servant (batman), also mention of his being wounded. Looks like you've struck gold!

Best wishes Roy

Thank you for your reply, Roy. (Your one-finger typing is great!)

I will certainly try to purchase that book -- thanks for providing the ISBN# as well.

"Oaky"

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Oaky,

Can I suggest that you obtain a copy of "Have you forgotten yet?" by

C. P. Blacker MC, GM. being the recollections of a 4th. Bn. Coldstream Guards officer during WW1 (ISBN 0 0 85052 729 5).

(...)

Best wishes Roy

I want to thank you very much for recommending the above book to me. It arived yesterday and I am delighted to read about my grandfather within its pages. Especially heart-warming for me is a quote from my gfather to C.P. Blacker (page 266) while in the hospital.

All the best to you!

"Oaky"