Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3 Squaddies

barrabeme3@hotmail.com

This photo is from a collection of an late Aunt. Can anyone identify any or all 3 Regts by the uniforms.

1 to the left appears to me a foreign dress uniform

possibly one or more are from the Norfolk, Lincolnshire or Cambridgeshire Counties

post-17027-1166568134.jpg

Many prewar TF Battalions wore the Snake link Leather belts,however,I concur with Max to it being post 1918 @ least; as the "Jock" is wearing his WW1 Campaign Medal Ribbons{looks like a "1914/1914~15 Star Trio",the chap on the right is not exactly Foreign~he's Scots{sorry all our Scottish Pals},The Badge looks to be Black Watch{Royal Highlanders},The chap in the centre is probably East Lancashire Regt & the chap on t'other side is I would suggest Royal West Kent{Prancing White Horse of Kent}

Why the belts? They are P14 leather equipment. Common issue to Kitchener units in 1914 / 15 and seen throughout the war. Scottish soldier possably Highland Light Infantry. Cant make out the other two badges though the other standing soldier could be sporting a Norfolk badge?

Me thinks left to right Royal Artilary. General Service Corp, HLI ? def Scottish reg.

Dan

One on the left could be seated Britannia...Norfolk?

• 2 weeks later...

The Scottish badge looks too big to be standard HLI badge, i'd say it's either 9th Bn (Glasgow Highlanders) HLI or Black Watch - but then, if it was either of those badges should he not be in a kilt?

P.S. I think the chap standing on the left has the belt upside down.

Agree with Barrie about the belt, I think the guy on the left has it upside down as hook end is pointing upwards and liable to fall out, he's not along though if you look at this picture of my Grandad and his mate.

Picture

Hi all & Happy New Year :)

I mentioned this on another post as this subject is covered twice. The right hand man I am sure is not Black Watch. He is not wearing a red hackle. The other ranks in the Black Watch territorials were wearing a red hackle in Balmorals (above the cap badge), so they were definitely wearing them by the time the TOS came into service.

I would say that the chap on the right is Glasgow Highlanders (9 HLI). Probably transport section due to the trousers with puttees, and the white lanyard. Generally, when kilted soldiers wear service dress trousers, you'll notice in photos, they don't tend to wear puttees, with the exception of the transport section. Maybe because the riflemen of the kilted units wore half-puttees.

Hope this helps

Aye

Tom McC