Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brace attachments, any photos

uncle bill

...."Can others post examples of these sets too and get a reference thread going?

Here is an example of an attempt to set a P08 belt up with an almost Sam Browne look.

I do not know anything of the origins of the braces. They are old, and are missing several pieces of leather, or leatherette. The leather pieces which covered the raw ends of the web material has since rotted away, but some pieces are still visible on the upper section of the braces. The belt loops with rings and the shoulder straps are all one piece.

post-6040-1167143090.jpg

post-6040-1167143217.jpg

post-6040-1167143238.jpg

Grant,

I have a set of braces like those as well. Mine have no markings of any kind on them, but I think that they look identical to yours. I'll pull threm out and make sure. No idea what they were made for, though.

Just checked on my set and they are the same as yours. Mine are solid and the leather patches are all there, but they are pretty dirty. I was struck by the way the center portion is made of a very thin web that is doubled to form a loop at the ends, and then opened out to single thickness to make the wider portion in the middle. This is the same technique that was used (unsuccessfully) on the first pattern P08 braces.

Just checked on my set and they are the same as yours. Mine are solid and the leather patches are all there, but they are pretty dirty. I was struck by the way the center portion is made of a very thin web that is doubled to form a loop at the ends, and then opened out to single thickness to make the wider portion in the middle. This is the same technique that was used (unsuccessfully) on the first pattern P08 braces.

Somewhere, and I cant find where, I have some of the individual loops with the rings at each end. I can't say if they were cut off the web shoulder straps or if they were intended to be worn with other straps, or even leather Sam Browne straps.

John, you are right about the design of the shoulder straps, and the material of the shoulder straps is the same that is used in some of the P03 water bottle carriers' shoulder pieces, and some earlier haversack straps.

There is another variation on the same theme, and that is the p08 belt with metal loops sewn to the belt via leather tabs. This appears to replicate a Sam Browne set up. I imagine these would have to be tailor made for each officer and would allow for no variation once sewn in place.

• 2 years later...

Bought this today in a local Bristol militaria dealers shop - they had a partial set of generally not great condition 1908 Pattern webbing for sale for £100 which was ex-film use. I was quite suprised on examining it to see that not only was the belt original and in good shape but was the "belt, waist, special"! £50 later and the belt on it's own was mine... :)

16140309.th.jpg

88526412.th.jpg

55678428.th.jpg

Condition isn't mint, but still strong and sturdy for having had a hard life! The date and maker isn't immediately readable any more (will try a damp sponge later and see if it brings them out any more), but the non-rivetted rear buckles and thin brass strip by the buckle suggest late-war issue, c.1918:

87804918.th.jpg

15604759.th.jpg