Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wounded Infantry Join RAF

sjustice

Hello All,

I think this is the best forum for this picture. It shows my Grandfather(-in-Law), proudly wearing his medal ribbons, with 3 of his chums. They're certainly looking a bit cheeky to say the least.

Now this photo came as a bit of a shock as it only came to light recently and no-one knew he had been in the RAF (I thought the cap badge was for the RDC until I blew it up and showed the cap here)! Can anyone here add to the story? I can date this picture as having been taken somewhere between 29th June 1920 and 8th June 1922. This is because he was wearing the ribbons for the BWM/VM for which he was certified on the former. Likewise he is not wearing the ribbon for the TFWM; certified on the latter date. (Many thanks to HarryBettsMCDCM for identifying the ribbons).

He was Alfred Cyril Oram d.o.b. 2/6/1898; a Territorial enlisted in 6th Btn Gloucestershire Regt on the day war was declared 4/8/1914 (aged 16 by 2 months). Wounded on 13th October 1916 in France and brought home on 26th October. Some time after that he tranferred to Royal Defence Corps and got his SWB on 21st January 1918. He was discharged the next day.

We thought that was where his service ended, but no! Should have known the old ****** had a trick up his sleeve and on his cap!

Can anyone add to this? He was very much a Bristol man and I have no idea what that structure is behind them, what unit this is or where the photo was taken. Would love to know more if anyone recognises anything.

Kind Regards,

Simon

EDIT: Ooops! Pic was huge. Made it smaller

AC-Oram-RAF-HighCompression.jpg

Hi Simon,

Perhaps he just fancied joining up again? The RAF was a volunteer service by then and the uniform certainly fits the early RAF style with the winged eagle on the shoulders.

Steve

Forgot to say! The structure looks like canvas, possibly with wooden sides, which might make it some sort of temporary hangar or workshop. Howeve, that's just a guess.

You could try Kew to see what's available there. They hold what's known as Muster Rolls there in AIR1/819/204/4/1316. This should give you the date he enlisted, a service number, trade and the time he spent in the RAF.

You could also try AIR78 which will give you a nominal index, a bit like the MIC as it's of microfilm, but can only be viewed at the NA.

This should provide you with his name, rank and number and from there you can look at AIR79 by using his service number as the starting point.

See this link:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militar...homepage=mh-raf

Steve

Forgot to say! The structure looks like canvas, possibly with wooden sides, which might make it some sort of temporary hangar or workshop. Howeve, that's just a guess.

You could try Kew to see what's available there. They hold what's known as Muster Rolls there in AIR1/819/204/4/1316. This should give you the date he enlisted, a service number, trade and the time he spent in the RAF.

You could also try AIR78 which will give you a nominal index, a bit like the MIC as it's of microfilm, but can only be viewed at the NA.

This should provide you with his name, rank and number and from there you can look at AIR79 by using his service number as the starting point.

See this link:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militar...homepage=mh-raf

Steve

Went through all the Orams via AIR78-79 today. 6 Oram, A or Alfred listed, of which 4 were under 329000 no. None were him :(

Of the other 2 one is in the 400k range and one (looks like a typo) is in the 2ms. Looks like a lettern to Innsworth is next. Watch this space...

Kind Regards

I have in the region of 50 men from my home town who enlisted in 1914 - did the Somme etc - were wounded, probably learned skills etc, must have been discharged and are signed up by the fledgling RAF in mid-summer 1918.

This has always struck me too!

I have in the region of 50 men from my home town who enlisted in 1914 - did the Somme etc - were wounded, probably learned skills etc, must have been discharged and are signed up by the fledgling RAF in mid-summer 1918.

To me it seems very strange, but then I didn't go through the Great War; which could mean that very little appeared odd to those that came out of the services having served! Mid-Summer 1918 eh?

Have you tried researching any of these 50 men and did any service numbers fall outside the first 329,000?

Kind Regards,

Simon

Hi Desmond,

The booklet "Harry Fellows-His Life & His poems" confirms your opinion.Harry worked for Raleigh Cycles at Nottingham before joining the Northumberland Fusiliers in1914 and serving with the 12th Battalion untill wounded in June 1917.After hospital and convalescence he returned to France at Etaples some six months later.

Harry's memoirs say:

"A parade was called one day to which all men had to bring their paybooks.The C.O. went along the ranks noting the men's peacetime jobs.Miners,shipyard workers ,toolmakers etc were sent home for discharge & to resume their civilian occupations.Men with trades such as bricklayers,plumbers,and joiners were retained and transferred into the R.E.s.Electricians and fitters if suitable went into the Flying Corps.

When the C.O. asked Harry his trade he said 'I,m a wheel truer sir' to which the C.O. said 'what the hell's a wheel truer'Harry explained and said he worked for Raleigh,to which the response was 'Raleigh, damn fine bikes,I ride one myself,Sgt.Major,put this man down for a Flying Corps test'"

Harry easily passed the test at St. Omer and moved into the Flying Corps repairing motor cycle wheels which despatch riders had managed to bend.

Harry was demobbed in March 1919 after Raleigh sought his release.

Regards,

Les

Simon,

Your wife's grandfather could have a service number in the following series since he was not a service transfer to the RAF but had a break in military service when presumabily discharged from the RDC on 22 January 1918.

329001-335000 Aircrafthands recruited March to August 1919.

336001-338000 Aircrafthands recruited August to September 1919

Service numbers under 329000 and as far back as 316001 were allocated to Boy Cadets inducted into RAF service ending March 1919 from October 1918, which would rule out your relative.

Service numbers 400000-410432 were allocated those inducted to the RAF as transfers from the Army and Navy in September 1918.It might be that your relative was considered, as regards the numbering system, to be ex Army.

RAF Records at RAF Innsworth should reveal his full service track record.