Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Shrapnels

Braithwaite

Does anyone know anything about The Shrapnels? They were a troop entertainment group. I think they had a female impersonator. Were such groups attached to a particular Division or did they move around more widely? Were they ordinary soldiers between performances or were they excused all fighting? Are there records of these groups anywhere?

Sue

• Admin

Hi Sue

A quick search has revealed the following thread; as it is old the photos and some f the text is mising

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...concert+parties

Kate Wills is the lady to answer this one really.

Regards, Michelle

On a similar note , you may wish to check out my recent post ? type "australian concert party" into the search.

Sue,

I have references to two groups called The Shrapnels. One was an Australian troupe, and you can see a photo of them on the Australian War Memorial site

here

The other Shrapnels may have been the battalion concert party of the 9th Highland Light Infantry. However, I would be very surprised if there were not several other groups who called themselves The Shrapnels. There were, for instance, at least four Divisional concert parties alone who called themselves The Follies, and as Shrapnels seems a fairly routine choice of title, I'd bet there were more than two.

Concert parties were formed at almost every unit level, but the stars were the members of the official Divisional parties, who had to pass an audition before treading the boards. Members were not excused all fighting, though Divisional troupes / troops were usually given something useful to do. The 56th Division's Bow Bells, for instance, ran the Divisional laundry. I have just found a lead that may point to some of them serving with the Army Post Office, but that is mere speculation at present.

Thanks for those links. I think this group may have been the 9th HLI troupe as it is likely they were attached to the 33rd Div. Is there any way of finding out more about them eg members of the group or the type of show they would have put on.

Sue

This is the extent of my notes on The Shrapnels:

War Diary of the 9th (Glasgow Highland) Battalion Highland Light Infantry – “the Glasgow Highlanders”

http://www.rhf.org.uk/Books/index.htm

[5 January 1917: billets/training at Gorenflos]

Running drill 7am. Contact patrol scheme with Aeroplane near GORENFLOS. Weather good. "SHRAPNELS" concert party gave concert in GORENFLOS.

[30 April 1917: training at Bienvillers-au-Bois]

All Coys steady drill. "Shrapnels" give a concert in open. Very fine weather.

The link seems to have disappeared.

I can't help with personnel, but the show depended on whatever talent was available. Sometimes they produced a revue, play or pantomime, but their show was most likely a variety entertainment of songs, a comic, piano solos (if they had one!), instrumental solos, recitations, perhaps a dancer, or even novelty acts, such as a ventriloquist.

Battalion shows were often raunchier than Divisional shows, usually in the absence of senior commanders.

Sue,

You are in luck.

The Imperial War Museum holds this item:

ID Number: 7511 75/108/1 [Private Papers]

Maker: Luxford S

An unusual collection consisting of the minutes, official histories, badges and membership cards of the RAOTC Old Comrades Association which held annual meetings for its four members during 1919 - 1943, together with hand-drawn concert programmes for "The Shrapnels", the 33rd Division Concert Company, BEF in France.

Object Type: Private Papers Format Description: An unusual collection consisting of the minutes, official histories, badges and membership cards of the RAOTC Old Comrades Association which held annual meetings for its four members during 1919 - 1943, together with hand-drawn concert programmes for "The Shrapnels", the 33rd Division Concert Company, BEF in France. Access Conditions: Unrestricted.

When are you likely to get down there? I shall certainly add it to my shopping list for my next visit.

Sue,

An extract from 'Shoulder to Shoulder' - The History of the 9th HLI:

"April 1917 -...remained at Bienvillers-au-Bois till the end of the month. Two drafts joined amounting in all to one officer and 131 O/Rs. On Sunday 29th, church parade was held in the open, and next evening The Shrapnels gave a concert. This entertainment was also held in the open, there being no cover available"

there is a book that deals with this subject in some detail and lists all the concert paries etc printed just after the war at present the title escapes me!

regards John

• 1 year later...
  • 15 years later...

Have just found another reference to The Shrapnels.

These are extracts from Administrative Orders issued by 33rd Division A&Q Branch on 22 Aug 1918 (9/HLI were in 33rd Div of course).

Enjoy!

Mark

ShrapnelsConcertParty-33rdDivOrdersB-17-13822Aug1918p.01(AQWD1918).jpg.4f7cd04902a5228668dbe5d6a103c1a5.jpg

<forward five pages>

ShrapnelsConcertParty-33rdDivOrdersB-17-13822Aug1918p.05(AQWD1918).jpg.25e19f4c134c76e1fd181613136d5288.jpg

<date etc on final page>

ShrapnelsConcertParty-33rdDivOrdersB-17-13822Aug1918p.09(AQWD1918).jpg.4817f7e83a4fa0f15075bed1faf77339.jpg