Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mesopotamian Official Histories

Jim_Grundy

I have recently acquired the four volumes of the Mesopotamian campaign. If anyone would like something looking up, please ask.

I also have access to all the official histories for the Western Front and Gallipoli.

Cheers,

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Jim

Any chance of a look for 2/10th Middx. My man William Gurney died 26/03/1917 and is commemorated on the Jerusalem memorial. No point going much later than that as far as I am concerned.

I only started on him last week and so far think that the Bn did not see much of the war before they turned up in Mesopotamia.

Thanks

Andy

Andy

This sounds like Palestine rather than Mesopotamia. However, since I managed to pick up an odd copy of the Egypt & Palestine official history the other week, I'll take a look for you.

Cheers,

Jim

Andy

On checking my odd volume of the Egypt/Palestine OH it only starts about July 1917, so it misses your William Gurney.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Regards,

Jim

Jim

Any chance of a look for 2/10th Middx. My man William Gurney died 26/03/1917 and is commemorated on the Jerusalem memorial. No point going much later than that as far as I am concerned.

I only started on him last week and so far think that the Bn did not see much of the war before they turned up in Mesopotamia.

Thanks

Andy

For some reason, the 1st volume (of two parts) of the Palestine and Egypt Official History does not start until July 1917 - just like Jim says.

But I can tell you a little about 2/10 Middlesex. It was part of 160 (Welsh Border Brigade) and was part of 53 Division.

The date your man died, Andy, was the opening day of the battle to take Gaza (aka 1st Gaza).

The attack was made by the Desert Column, consisting of the two Mounted Divisions and the 53rd Division (plus 181 Brigade from the 54th Division). The 53rd Division attacked the front of Gaza (which is the South of the city), while the Mounted Division attacked the East and North of Gaza; Gaza is on the coast, so to the west is the sea.

Of the two other Divisions, 54th was held in readiness at Sheik Abbas (to mop up when 53rd Division broke the Turkish lines) and the 52nd Division was held in reserve at In Seirat.

The failure to take Gaza by the 53rd Division, is blamed on the thick fog which surrounded the city that day - and did cause much confusion, with some brigades advancing faster than others. But the truth is that General Murray did not have enough troops - nor did he appreciate how well the Turks were dug in. Murray also underestimated the fighting spirit of the Turkish soldiers who knew that if the Gaza defences were broken, the allies would be free to move quickly through Palestine and conquer the country.

Murray's troops were also stretched to the limit, in terms of supplies and (more important) water. When the Desert Column was badly mauled on the 26th March, they retreated South to In Seirat - the top of the rail line - which took until the evening of the 27th to complete. By this time, the water supply had been exhausted and men lay dying along the trail from Gaza. Most of the troops did not get to eat for four days and the medical supplies had been offloaded on the retreat.

Gaza was Palestine's equivalent of the Somme. Fresh Divisions were sent to break the Turks, with the second attack (2nd Gaza) in April 1917 being even more costly in terms of lives than the March attack; the Turks had been given time to improve their defences further.

Murray was replaced by Allenby, who doubled the attacking force for the breakthrough in November 1917.

For some reason, the 1st volume (of two parts) of the Palestine and Egypt Official History does not start until July 1917 - just like Jim says.

Racing,

The First Volume of Miltary Operations - Egypt and Palestine covers the period up until the end of June 1917.

The second volume comes as Volume 2 part 1 and Volume 2 part 2.

I think you are mistaking Volume 2 part 1 as volume 1.

Martin

Well that explains a lot. Nowhere on these books did it say that my two books (which I bought at the IWM) were Volume 2.

I'd better go and buy Volume 1 now.

Many thanks.