Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefields after the war

Annette Burgoyne

Hi!

Ian Bowbrick posted this same question on 5 May 2003. There's a set of answers in that thread. Sorry I can't do the 'click here' thing!

To Annette,

A very good book is : " After the ruins " , written by Hugh Clout. The subtitle of this book is : Restoring the Countryside of Northern France after the Great War

Pity that it does not deal with the Ypres Salient.

Gilbert Deraedt

Hi!

Ian Bowbrick posted this same question on 5 May 2003. There's a set of answers in that thread. Sorry I can't do the 'click here' thing!

Here is the 'click here' thing.

To Annette,

This subject (cleaning of the battlefields and rebuilding) is also dealt with in local publications or forms even a part other books. The subject itself should also be considered locally.

Some books are written in Dutch or French (eg. "Ieper, de herrezen stad" , " Halfweg Menin Road en Ypernstrasse, ...).

A lot of rebuilding was done with the help of the Albertfonds.

Gilbert Deraedt

Goodday,

I worked a little on that subject in the past, - Annette I think you live in France and read French - I hardly recommand to read "La Reconstruction et sa Mémoire dans les villages de la Somme 1918-1932" many many infomations and well wrote - see http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sommereconstruction/page7.html for more and references. The author is the head of Péronne Danicourt museum and live in Fricourt.

Several views of the aftermath in Somme and some text infos in English are on my website here is the direct links http://www.chez.com/hamel1418/destroy.htm

Regards,

Nicolas

Annette I think you live in France and read French

Nicolas, I wish I did :), I know I have French names and my English is not very good :lol: but I am Shropshire born and bred. I would love to live on the Somme but do not have the cash to up roots and go.

There is a French lady that I know and I was thinking to get her to teach me French but I was hopeless at French at school and may be wasting my time.

I will vistit your site.

Gilbert, I will sadly have to skip "Ieper, de herrezen stad" , " Halfweg Menin Road en Ypernstrasse because I can only read English (my teachers said I could,nt do that to well). I will be getting After the ruins " , by Hugh Clout.

Regards

Annette

Hi Nicolas

Just visited your site, very good. I have not looked at all of it but will return. I tried to sign your guest book but must have press the wrong button as message disappeared :unsure:

Annette

Bonsoir Annette ! Sorry for the mistake, in fact I thought you were another lady I nwo remember. :blink: Will also try to get the book you mention. Retry about the guestbook, I am alway very happy to have a comment let here!

Best wishes-Nicolas

Hi - I would suggest 'after the battle' series of titles for example "Flanders then and now" has good information and pictures on how the landscape was changes and reclaimed.

Thanks salientpoints

"Flanders then and now" I've got this and the "Somme then and now". I am looking for a more indepth look at the work on reclaiming the battlefields and the lives of the returning poeple to their homes.

Nicolas - I will have another go a signing your guest book, I'll press the other button this time.

Regards

Annette