Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

more info on medal card and service record

hollandkathor

My grandfather served with the Durham Light Infantry before(he came out of the army for a while) and during WW1. On the medal card index his no. is 8770 Pte Joseph Turnbull. Medals-

Victory 0/1/103B6 1049,

British do do

14Star 0/1/4 127

Qualifying date 8/9/14 then it has AS/0/4250, which I don,t understand? By 1917 on a birth cert. belonging to my aunt he was a sergeant in the 3rd battalion D.L.I.. On a later local newspaper cutting he was said to be a sergeant major instructor and had been wounded in France.

Thanks Kath

My grandfather served with the Durham Light Infantry before(he came out of the army for a while) and during WW1. On the medal card index his no. is 8770 Pte Joseph Turnbull. Medals-

Victory 0/1/103B6 1049,

British do do

14Star 0/1/4 127

Qualifying date 8/9/14 then it has AS/0/4250, which I don,t understand? By 1917 on a birth cert. belonging to my aunt he was a sergeant in the 3rd battalion D.L.I.. On a later local newspaper cutting he was said to be a sergeant major instructor and had been wounded in France.

Thanks Kath

Hi There,

The 3rd battalion DLI was a training reserve beattlion so that ties in with the newspaper cutting. Qualifying date means the date he went to France.

Steve

the AS/****/*** may well be a Silver War Badge reference,if he was discharged either before joining the 3rd DLI or later,this can be accessed @ the NA{not online}the references after each medal type are the Roll Page References,these too are held @ the NA.