Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3 PALS, 2 VETRANS AND A PROFESSOR!

Guest lesley

Today at the Ox & Bucks branch of the WFA Brian, myself, PAL Simon and another friend had the pleasure of listening to a talk on the Western Front by Richard Holmes.

If you ever have the opportunity to go to one of his talks - do so. He is a truly gifted public speaker and his enthusiasm for the subject shines through.

The talk, as well as being infomative was spiced with a wicked sense of humour.

However, the stars of the afternoon were Arthur Halestrap (of snogging Cynthia fame) and William Stone.

William was still excited at having led the Rememberence Pay parade and chatted to me at length about the car and dinner afterwards!

Simon was official PALS photographer and captured the afternoon for prosperity. He will post the photos when he gets over the excitement of winning a prize in the raffle!

I heard Richard Holmes speak a few years ago in the Guildhall in Salisbury. An excellent hour all round.

How lovely for you to meet the two veterans. Not many get the chance to do that these days. It was good to see the veterans in the car at the front of the Cenotaph parade. Congrats to whoever came up with that idea!

Regards,

David

Lesley - Sounds like you had a great time! I really can't wait for Richard's visit to the MK Branch next year, he has been a 'hero' of mine for some time!

And, if anyone is interested in seeing Richard Holmes next year (in MK) then click HERE to go to the topic concerning the event.

Evening all.

I have got to agree with Lesley,that if you get a chance to see Professor Holmes speak,go for it.

By the sounds of it,the next year may be the last time you get a chance to hear him speak,on world war one.

His style is both witty,serious,and very informative.

Professor Holmes looked a little bit worried,when the chairman of the Ox and Bucks branch,asked Mr Halestrap if he had a question.

I have never seen anyone concentrate as hard on a question,as Mr Holmes did with this one!.

To meet Mr Stone and Mr Halestrap,was an unexpected,wonderfull,surprise.

Mr Stone looks better than my Grandad,and he is only 86!

He was talking about Paignton in Devon,near where he was born,i believe,and his leading of the Rememberance Day Parade at The Cenotaph,and how Princess Anne refused him a kiss,because it wasn't his birthday.

Two very amazing men.

Mr Halestrap's voice is so strong and confident.

Mr Stone,has the glint in his eye,of an 18 year old.

A wonderfull experience.

I would like to say thank you to the Ox and Bucks branch of the WFA,for their hospitality(i recommend their tea and cakes)and to Brian and Lesley,for a day i won't forget.

I was official Pal Photographer(Cheers Les),so here goes.

I hope i don't crash the site!!

Regards to you all.

Simon.

post-8-1069623139.jpg

Lesley/Simon

A wonderful experience. Thank you for posting the photos. I can not but wonder what was the question that Arthur Halestrap asked and how was it answered ?

Hi Myrtle,

Arthur asked two questions: Was the Great War really the war to end all wars? The answer was basically that although some lessons were learned Richard thought that there would always be some sort of conflict until the United Nations had some real clout.

Arthur followed this up by briefly mentioning the horror he and his comrades had experienced and asked Richard if he thought their sacrifices were in vain.

Richard appeared to struggle with this one because I think he didn't want to cause any offence to Arthur and William. He referred back to what he had said previously and went onto discuss what was going on in the world today.

This is a simple answer to your question Myrtle. The questions were answered at some length.

hope it helps

Lesley