Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loos Trenches, Blackpool

Moriaty

I have just bought a postcard of the Loos Trenches, Blackpool, the caption says "Telephone dugouts, these are situated in the front line trenches and are connected up with Battalion Headquarters, wires have to be tested and repaired everyday, often under shell fire". It looks as if they were "manned" by war wounded.

What were these trenches?

Were they for tourism, information, fundraising or recruiting?

When were they dug and how long did they last?

Does anyone know about them? Did other towns have anything similar?

Moriaty

could you post a copy of the postcard or pm me a scan of it ? I have heard of the trenches before but was unaware that a post card was made !

Mick D

I think a series of at least 4 postcards were made by "Mr Brown, The Popular Brown Photographer, Savoy Studios, 9 Central Beach (opposite North Pier) and 2 West Street, Blackpool".

Mike D, if you can PM me with a postal address, I can send you a photocopy of the postcard, I dont think I can cope with scanning it!

Moriaty

Myos, thanks very much for the link with the pictures of Blackpool's Loos trenches - very interesting.

Thanks

Moriaty

I live not too far from Blackpool and they were I believe dug as a fund raising exercise on the 'racecourse' which is now part of Blackpool International Airport....

In answer to the question about other towns having sets I believe there was a set in Hyde Park, London, that were dug, like the Balckpool trenches, as a display piece.

Other towns had more straightforward practice trenches!

I live not too far from Blackpool and they were I believe dug as a fund raising exercise on the 'racecourse' which is now part of Blackpool International Airport....

The site of the trenches is now occupied by a small park bounded by the M55 extension towards Blackpool centre (formerly a railway line) to the east and Watson Rd to the south. Nothing is visible on the ground.

Hello,

I asked a question about the Blackpool trenches because of the medal shown below.

Helpful members explained that the trenches were to show holidaymakers what the real trenches in France were like.

The medal initials stand for King's Lancashire Military Convalescent Hospital, and it was believed that convalescing troops explained trench life to the visitors. The medal was given in thanks to one of these men.

Hopefully of interest,

Spud

post-4284-1166472946.jpg