Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DLI e book

Jarvis

I've just found an ebook via ebay that might be of interest to DLI researchers. I found it, payed £1 via paypal and downloaded (pdf format) it all within 2 minutes. The book is called "The story of the 6th Battalion The Durham Light Infantry April 1915 Novemebr 1918" and it's written/edited by Captain R.B. Ainsworth MC.

47 pages of 6th DLI at The Salient, Armentieres, Somme, Arras, Lys, Aisne. Also contains Appendix of officers killed. A treasure trove for a quid. Thought it worth a mention.

I hadn't considered ebooks as a source before now. I guess I'll be browsing for some more. I'll post details if any more are found.

Yes it would appear some one is indeed charging me a quid for a link. Australian company (?) by the name of Vinnys ebooks. Duped of a pound I may be but I'm still excited by the find really. I haven't had anything to do with ebooks before and hadn't considered the possibilty of regimental histories being available through this medium. I'll go browsing with a lot more care in future. Many thanks for the information.

I'll accept the financial loss and put it down to experience (or lack of it).

There are lots of (free) WW1 books on the Gutenberg site. Search around.

Thanks for confirming that.

There are several regimental books I have found on the Gutenburg site. Although not my particular interest I have downloaded and made a note of them should anyone be interested in that particular regiment.

5th Battn Leicestershires 1914-1919

6th Volounteer Battn King's (Liverpool) Regt

7th Hants 1914

Fife and Forfar Yeomanry 1914-1919

...other books including the history of the 18th DLI...

John

John,

I've had a quick look at the Gutenberg site but cannot readily find Lowe's 18/DLI battalions history, so I'd appreciate guidance on whereabouts to look.

David T.

Hi David

Sorry to you and everyone else..you can't download it form Gutenberg, but you can from this site below.

John.

http://www.archive.org/details/18thdurham00loweuoft

Thanks for the link. I struggled to find it too. The text version of this link appears somewhat scrambled but the PDF version is fine. Once again thank you.

...you can from this site below.

http://www.archive.org/details/18thdurham00loweuoft

John,

Thanks for this. I took Jarvis's advice & downloaded a PDF version... it took a few attempts to capture it but, eventually, it came thru' OK.

David T.