Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MC and 5 Bars

Matt Dixon

Am I correct in thinking there is a chap buried in a cemetery down near Portsmouth who won the MC with 5 bars, or am I as usual barking up the wrong tree?

"British Gallantry Awards" by Abbott & Tamplin state that the maximum number of bars is three. Four men won the MC & 3 bars in WW1: Capt.P.Bentley,5/Yorkshire L.I.; Lieut.H.A.Gilkes,21/London R.; T/Capt.C.G.Timms,RAMC; and A/Capt.F.V.Wallington,RFA.

Thanks Terry,

Do you know which of them is the one buried in Portsmouth?

Sorry; don't know anything about the fellows. I am still trying to figure out how a man could win four Military Crosses and still only have the rank of lieutenant!

Yes that's an interesting point. If one can win 4 MC's then you would have thought that maybe at least one of them might have been considered as meriting a DSO?

Likewise I have made a post about Brig General Lumsden, Royal Marines, VC DSO and 3 bars.

I understand that the reporting of deeds for a VC is different to other gallantry awards, but I can't help but think that one or more of the DSO's might have merited a VC.

Anyone who wins a gallantry award is special in my opinion but to win 4 MC's or 3 DSO's and a VC, the person must either be incredibly brave, or stark raving mad! (Indeed I suspect, probably a combination of the two!)

There's a 19-year old WW1 pilot buried in Cagincourt CWGC who has the MC and two bars. Three MCs before he has started to shave properly - it's unbelievable.

" Four men won the MC & 3 bars in WW1: Capt.P.Bentley,5/Yorkshire L.I.; Lieut.H.A.Gilkes,21/London R.; T/Capt.C.G.Timms,RAMC; and A/Capt.F.V.Wallington,RFA.

In the book by J V Webb, ''Recipients of Bars to the Military Cross'', pub 1988. He states that all of the above seemed to have survived the war. I did a quick check on CWGC and couldn't find them.

I have a copy of the book if any one wants look ups, It also includeds a list of MCs awarded to Warrant Officers between 1915 and 1919.

Andy

Hedley,

Can you remember the name of this pilot as when searching for "Cagincourt" on the new CWGC database it is not listed as such.

Checked out the entries for the RFC/RAF for awards with two bars, out of the eight listed, four had transferred from other regiments and could only find three on CWGC.

McElroy is very interesting MC and Two bars plus a DFC and Bar !

McELROY

Initials: G E H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Air Force

Date of Death: 31/07/1918

Awards: MC 26/3/18 Bar 22/4/18 2nd Bar 26/7/18 also DFC and Bar

Additional information:Son of Samuel McElroy, B.A., and Ellen McElroy, of Donnybrook School, Dublin.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. C. 1.

Cemetery: LAVENTIE MILITARY CEMETERY, LA GORGUE

YOUDALE, ALFRED CLARENCE

Initials: A C

Regiment: Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text: 21st Sqdn.

Date of Death: 23/12/1917

Awards: MC 26/9/17 Bar 27/10/17 2nd Bar 4/2/18 citation 5/7/18

Additional information:Son of John Beaumont Youdale and Rebecca Youdale, of "Coniston," 43, Ormond St., Ashfield, New South Wales, Australia.

Cemetery: ARRAS FLYING SERVICES MEMORIAL

BARLOW, LEONARD MONTEAGLE

Initials: L M

Date of Death: 05/02/1918

Awards: MC 25/8/17 Bar 18/10/17 2nd Bar 7/3/18 citation 22/3/18

Additional information:Son of Leonard Barlow and Katharine Barlow, of "Ben Varne," Onslow Gardens, Wallington.

Grave/Memorial Reference: F. 85.

Cemetery: BANDON HILL CEMETERY

Crimea,

It could be Cagnicourt;it's a village next to Bullecourt.

I have a note of his name, but it's on my other computer. I will post it tomorrow.

Regards

Hedley

Hi Hedley/Signals found this one

Name: COWAN, SIDNEY EDWARD

Initials: S E

Unit Text: 29th Sqdn.

Date of Death: 17/11/1916

Awards: MC and Bar

Additional information: Son of Mr. P. D. Cowan, D Sc formerly of Castlemount, Castlenock, Co. Dublin.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. B. 13.

Cemetery: CAGNICOURT BRITISH CEMETERY

His MC was gazzeted on 31/5/16 his bar on 20/10/16 a note mentions that he ''Also had a 2nd Bar see appendix'' and then ''Bar wrongly indexed as 2nd Bar''

Don't know what this means, and guess what I cannot find the Appendix !! :angry:

Crimea;

Sidney is the guy. His headstone says MC and 2 bars. Interesting that one seems to have been withdrawn. He was killed ina mid-air collision with another RAF pilot.

On a visit to France last month I saw the grave of Capt. G.E.H. McElroy DFC & Bar, MC & 2 Bars. Quite an achievement - 5 gallantry awards.

He is buried at Laventie.

post-8-1069606979.jpg