Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Aircraft ID

4thGordons

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Equipment section.

I picked up a couple of photos which appear to have been taken in Paris(?) after or towards the end of the War - some sort of display of captured equipment. A couple of them show several German aircraft - I have scanned my reference books but am well out of my depth on these - can anyone identify the types? I could probably post a better quality version of the lower one if needed

Chris

Chris

Thank you for posting the photographs. The battered fuselage at the front of the upper photo is difficult to identify - the large lozenge pattern on the fabric is reminiscent of that used by the Austro-Hungarians, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The more intact aeroplane behind it looks like a DFW C.V, a common, and very useful, German two-seater.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the lower photograph. Perhaps a larger image might assist.

Regards

Gareth

Thanks Dolphin/Dave

I have tried to paste a more detailed scan of the relevant areas of the lower image below.

Apologies for the odd size I trimmed as much possible to allow a/c to be shown in best quality.

Chris

I'm happy to be corrected, but to me they look like (from left to right):

LVG C.V;

DFW C.V;

Pfalz D.XII;

Albatros D.V or D.Va.

I don't know about the part image on the extreme right.

Cheers

Gareth

what ho !

I think(one can never be absolutely sure from photos like this) that the aircraft on the near right is either an LVG CV or possibly an LVG CVI.........I recognise the Benz IVu engine. I know this because I am restoring an LVG CVI for the Brussels Air Museum.

regards

mike r lewis

Mike

I think that you're correct about the right hand aircraft being an LVG. It's a shame that the photo doesn't show just a little more of the fuselage.

Could you keep us informed about the LVG restoration project? I'm sure that there are many on the Forum who would like to see the work in progress and the finished product.

Returning to the photo, the markings on the Albatros D.V are interesting, in that they're the "Iron Cross" markings used before March 1918, rather than the straight crosses used afterwards. Was the aeroplane captured before March and kept in its German markings, rather than having Allied roundels applied? Or was it re-marked for the display - this seems unlikely, as some of the other machines on show are in less than pristine condition.

We'll probably never know.

Gareth

post-15838-1166462960.jpggareth

I will post some photos of the work in progress on the LVG. You might have to wait a while for photos of the finished article as these things take a while.

But here is one I made earlier...........1918 to be precise.

regards

Mike

post-15838-1166464894.jpgpost-15838-1166464971.jpgAs promised a few photos of the LVG restoration in progress.

My speciality is the engine which at the time was regarded as one of the most reliable in its time Benz inline , 6 cylinder, 18 litre BZ IVu.

The Castor oil that they used as a lubricant has preserved the engine internals to such a degree that it could be made to run again after nearly 90 years.

The crew had heated flying suits which necessitated the use of a bulky generator driven directly by the engine and this was also used to power the radio transmitter.

Mike

Thank you very much. I look forward to seeing more as the project continues.

Is much known of the history of the aeroplane that you're working on, eg did it see active service?

Best wishes

Gareth

Thanks Dolphin/Dave

I have tried to paste a more detailed scan of the relevant areas of the lower image below.

Apologies for the odd size I trimmed as much possible to allow a/c to be shown in best quality.

I have seen this scene in Paris earlier in different pictures, especially the whole row of German machines in the midst of Paris. I remember I saw picture(s) of the machines when they were in reasonable state and afterwards when they were completely destroyed and burnt out. Must be dated on november 11th 1918 right on the day or a few days after the Armistice.

Perhaps the Paris forum members can tell in which place these machines were exhibited. By the way the whole exhibitions must have been covered extensively in the French illustrated weeklies of the time.

Varese