Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MM or DSM?

Matt Dixon

Was the Distinguished Service medal the equivilant of the Military Medal, but for the Navy and the Marines?

Was it possible for a marine or a rating to be awarded the MM?

Matt

My book of words says

"Awarded to petty officers and ratings of the Royal Navy, NCOs and OR of the Royal Marines and all other persons holding corresponding ranks or positions in the naval forces, for acts of bravery in the face of the enemy not sufficiently merotorious to make them eligable for the CSM."

Compare with MM

"Awarded to NCOs and men of the Army (including RFC and RND) for individual or associated acts of bravery not of t sufficient heroism to make them eligable to merit the DCM."

Hope this helps

Andy

By RND I assume they mean Royal Naval Division....it does help, thanks.

Matt

Apologies - yup RND = Royal Naval Division.

There wer some more on the expansion of eligibility, but I think that that occurred later. Let me know if you want the whole transcription.

Regards

Andy

<_<

Paul

I was only quoting from the Medal yearbook 2002. Curiously, the two medals are next to each other!

I will leave the various merits of the two awards to experts like yourself - given that I am biased as my great-uncle Harry won his MM for spending a day under fire on 14th April 1917 at Arras (quoted in the QVR history).

BTW how is your book on Arras coming on, I thought that it was due out this autumn? It is about time that we had another decent publication on this much neglected subject.

Regards

Andy

PS You will not have realised but you saw me on 26th Oct at Dover when you were talking to David Bartlett! :D

Hi Andy,

No offence to the MM meant; I just think the DSM was higher up the pecking order. I am not an expert on Naval medals; did it carry a pension pre-war like the DCM for the Army, I wonder?

Walking Arras comes out mid-2004, I am told.

You should have said hi at Dover; remember many of you might know my face, but I don't know yours!

See you next time.

Paul

I too am looking forward to Paul's book.

I can recommend Cheerful Sacrafice by Jonathan Nicholls on the subject of The Battle of Arras.

The Conspicuous Gallantry Medal was the naval version of the DCM (and is described as such in the medal year book). The DSM was the navy MM.

Best wishes.

Guest Jeff Floyd

During WWI, there were approximately 570 Military Medals awarded to petty officers and ratings of the Royal Navy. One source indicates that included 3 first bars and 1 second bar. Most of of these would have gone to the Royal naval Division.

From 1914 through 1919, a total of 108 Conspicuous Gallantry Medals were awarded to Navy and Marine personnel.

Sources vary on the numbers of Distinguished Service Medals awarded in WWI. The numbers vary from 4052 (67 first bars; 2 second bars) to 5519 (same numbers of bars).