Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Height Restrictions

Max

Hello Everyone

Does anyone know what the height restrictions were at the time of enlistment into pre 1908 militia units and post 1908 Special Reserve battalions? If the restrictions were lower for the Special Reserve as opposed to regular forces how was this dealt with when reservists were drafted to join regular front line battalions?

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

Andy,

I have an 1895 "Pamphlet for Recruiters" and the measurements of height, chest and weight were different for the different Corps of both the Regular Army and Militia.

Militia Infantry was;-

Men - Height 5ft 4in and upwards; Chest minimum 32in; Age 18-35yrs.

Growing Lads - Height 5ft 3in and upwards; minimum chest left to discretion of examining MO; Age between 17 & 18yrs.

Regular Infantry of the Line;-

Height 5ft 4ins; Chest 5ft 6ins in height, 33ins - Chest 5ft 6ins and under 5ft 10ins in height, 34ins - Chest 5ft 10ins and over in height, 35ins; Age 18 to 25yrs; Age with Special Qualifications 42yrs.

Graham.

Thank you very much Graham. Thats very helpful and just what I have been looking for.

Andy

Ahoj!

So they didn't accept under 5'4"? Was it possible for shorter men to join the "Rifles" or other light infantry unit?

Borys

Borys,

The only exception to the regulation was the Foot Guards. Rifle and Light Infantry units were regarded as Infantry of the Line.

Graham.

Ahoj!

Thank you for the answer.

I gather that the Foot Guards were taller :)

My impression was that - with lower average heights than today - that the bar would had been set lower.

OK - I've come across information that British Rifle units recruited smaller men - up to a certain height - up to 5'5" or so. Is that an urban legend? Or is it true for some earlier period?

Borys

Borys,

Correct on the Foot Guards they recruited at 5ft 9ins and upwards at 18 - 25yrs of age; Chest under 5ft 10in in height being 34ins; Chest 5ft 10ins and over being 35ins.

In all honesty I couldn't give an accurate answer to your second question, as the Height/Chest regulations I have are for 1895. If you're looking at Rifle units around the time of the Napoleonic Wars then it's possible there may have been differences in Height/Chest stipulation. As an example my dad was a Grenadier Guardsman in the 1950's and I believe they took no-one under 6ft at that time, yet in 1895 a height of 5ft 9ins was good enough to get into the Guards. I would think periodically these regulations would have been adjusted in line with the physical change in the population.

Graham.