Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For King And Empire Pin

mordac

Attached is a 'For King And Empire - Serviced Rendered' pin. It appears to be made from sterling silver with a pin and hook catch on the back. Also, "B8437" is stamped on the back.

Does anyone have any information on this type of pin? Why and to whom where they presented? Thanks in advance.

Garth

post-8-1069493872.jpg

Hi Garth,

This is what is also known as a silver war badge which was given out to anyone discharged from the armed forces during the First World War. It was given mainly to stop people who had been discharged getting hassle from people trying to get them to join up. It is possible to find out who it was I don't how to do it through the number and usually get a researcher to do it. If you know the name of the person though it is possible to get the Silver War Badge Roll through the MIC.

Cheers

Conor

Hi Conner:

Thanks for the background on the pin. Unfortunately I don't have a name to go with the pin, only the number. :( Does anyone know if there's a way to match the number with the recipient? I'm assuming these pins were also given to Canadians. Is this assumption correct?

Garth

Garth,It is possible to find out who the person was through the number and the Silver War Badges were given out to Australians New Zealander's British etc.

Cheers

Conor :D

Garth, as far as I know the only way a Canadian would have received a SWB is if he was serving with the BEF. The one I showed you yesterday has a "C" prefix on the number.

The CEF got the Class A, B, and C War Service Badges, but they were not for wounds.

post-8-1069600929.jpg