Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Your help please

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

William Connett was awarded the T F W M, that I understand. His medal has 1672 on the rim which looks like his number whilst with the Devon Regiment and not the 5612648 when in the 4 Devon Reg TA. Which I find strange, surely it would be his TA number on a Territorial Force War Medal and not the other. Here is his mic to see if you can add any light to this.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

post-11197-1166130494.jpg

The number would be that of the first unit in action so to speak so the TFWM would be the correct one. The later terri number would be very late as its a 7 digit one, rather than the normal 6 of the renumbering of terri units.

Devonshire Regiment 5608001 - 5662000

What teacher is trying to tell you is that he rejoined the T.F. after the war. The men and units of the T.F. were officially disembodied between 1918 & 1919, only to be re-constituted in February 1920. Many old T.F. men returned to their old T.F. units and signed on under the new regimental numbering series.

Graham.

Guest KevinEndon

Am I reading this correctly then.

He was in the TA with the Devons, then joined the Ox and Bucks, ended the war and joined the TA again with the new 7 digid number.

Next question as is usally the case. Why was he entitled to the War medal but not the victory medal. I thought the two were only awarded together.

Why was he entitled to the War medal but not the victory medal. I thought the two were only awarded together.

Without going into the full qualification details for each medal it was possible for the BWM to be issued on it's own. Entitlement meant serving overseas but not necessarily in a theatre of war, India being a prime example.

The Victory Medal however was never issued on it's own. Qualification was dependant on them serving in a theatre of war, which meant serving overseas and thus also qualifying for the BWM.

Hope this helps.

Steve

It would seem possible then that he was awarded the war medal possibly for India then later awarded the TFWM presumably the service criteria and being a volunteer to go overseas, but as it was to a non war zone no victory. I would be interested in the real experts comments as I thought the TFWM was always awarded with the war and victory.