Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Carmania vs. Cap Trafalgar

Burt H.

Hello everybody !

I'm looking for some details about this battle. I've already read Colin Simpson's "The Ship That Hunted Itself" (as far as I know the best source) and part of Bernard Edwards's "Salvo! Epic Naval Gun Actions". I know there's an excerpt in Harding's "Big Liners at War". Can you add more good (better perhaps) sources?

Could somebody ID (owner? built? BRT?) two colliers with Cap Trafalgar, German "collier" (freighter?) "Pontos" and American "Berwind"? There's nothing on the Web and I think there could be misspelling in Simpson's book (I already know that there's been no Simpson's "Eleonore Wouvermans" but "Woermann"!).

Thanks,

Burt

Hello everybody !

I'm looking for some details about this battle. I've already read Colin Simpson's "The Ship That Hunted Itself" (as far as I know the best source) and part of Bernard Edwards's "Salvo! Epic Naval Gun Actions". I know there's an excerpt in Harding's "Big Liners at War". Can you add more good (better perhaps) sources?

Could somebody ID (owner? built? BRT?) two colliers with Cap Trafalgar, German "collier" (freighter?) "Pontos" and American "Berwind"? There's nothing on the Web and I think there could be misspelling in Simpson's book (I already know that there's been no Simpson's "Eleonore Wouvermans" but "Woermann"!).

Thanks,

Burt

Hello Burt

Is this your American ship?

BERWIND New York & Porto Rico S.S. Co.; 1893; J. Blumer & Co.; 2,589 tons; 288-9x39-3x22-5; 273 n.h.p ; triple-expansion engines.

The American steamship Berwind was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine off Ushant on August 3rd, 1918.

Regards

John

Hello Burt

Is this your American ship?

BERWIND New York & Porto Rico S.S. Co.; 1893; J. Blumer & Co.; 2,589 tons; 288-9x39-3x22-5; 273 n.h.p ; triple-expansion engines.

The American steamship Berwind was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine off Ushant on August 3rd, 1918.

Regards

John

Thank you, John !

Well, according to Simpson "Berwind" "ended her days carrying cotton from the port of Charleston to Rotterdam", so there's a problem :D

No clues to "Pontos"? I know that "she was sunk by H.M.S. Glasgow during November, 1914".

Best wishes -

Burt

Burt, have sent you an action description via email.

Best wishes

David

Thank you, David !

The problem is that Corbett's story doesn't match with Simpson's and Simpson's with Edwards's :blink:

As far as I know Simpson used German officers reports writing his book so he should (?) have known better.

Regards -

Burt