Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Robinson, Mechanic, RFC

David Almond

My father recently told me that my great grandfather named Edward Casey Robinson was a mechanic in the RFC. I understand that he was only in the RFC during the War. I have done a search at the National Archives and found the medal paper for an Edward Robinson which seems to match this. He was a Mechanic First Class. How can I check if this could be my great grandfather, or find any further information? I think that he may have been injured by a propellor at some stage. Would there be medical records?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

David

soldiers papers are held at the NA

see the link to the long long trail above

There are three army medal index cards (the RAF ones have not been released to the public) online.

Medal card of Robinson, E C

Corps: Royal Flying Corps

Regiment No: 1704

Medal card of Robinson, Edward

Regiment No: 1918

Medal card of Robinson, E

Regiment No: 8028

RAF (the RFC became the RAF) Service papers are also held at the National Archives, Kew in AIR 79 and are filed in service/regiment number order. They will give you next of kin details. If they are not the right man you will need to try AIR 78, an index of service numbers.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your help. I've since found that on the birth certificate of his daughter his profession was listed as 'ex-army'. Presumably the RFC would have been classed as Army then (the birth certificate was dated 1919).

As far as I can see I now need to visit the National Archives to gain any further information. Apparently there were Absent Voters Lists for the election in 1918 which I thought may help identify Edward. However, I've spoken to staff at lancashire Records Office and they don't know anything about such records.