Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Registers

jim_davies

Bit of a stupid question, but do the paper CWGC Registers contain any additional information on the men that is not shown on the CWGC website ?

And where could one purchase copies of different registers (I'm only interested in two) ? From the CWGC I would imagine !

Thanks,

Jim

Jim

The registers for WW1 do contain additional information in many instances. They can include cause of death details and some additional personal information about schooling etc. They also contain in many cases plans of cemeteries, maps and extra historical data and tables.

Now the bad news. CWGC stopped selling the registers in January 2002. No more will be printed although they will produce a computer print-out (without some of the extra plans and historical details but including cause of death) for a fee of about £20 upwards depending on the size of the result.

Whilst obtaining some registers for myself at Maidenhead last January. I asked what would happen to the remaining stock and was told that they would be shredded or dumped. Therefore, I made them an offer and rescued the remaining stock.

These, I have been selling over the Forums and via WFA even since and very few are now left. Contact me off-Forum if you wish to enquire further. Many Forum members have bought these registers from me and can confirm what I say.

CWGC have also given me permission to copy any registers from my own complete collection (both wars) for anyone wanting a register which is now out of stock. They also refer any casual enquiries for registers they recieve to myself and I always try to help with info where I can.

Terry provides an excellent service which I can thoroughly recommend. He deserves praise for having secured these so we all still have access to them.

I purchased a copy, from Terry, of the CWGC Register for WW1 graves in Cornwall, and have found it very helpful and interesting.

Well done Terry for preventing the destruction of these registers.

Happy New Year All

John Milner

Terry,

Thank you for the informative reply, I'll email you with the registers I'm interested in.

Its good to know that the valuable information contained in these documents are being preserved.

Jim