Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th RWF at Ruabon

Chris_Baker

Do we have anyone knowledgeable about things North Welsh?

C Company of 4th (Denbighshire) Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers was headquartered in Ruabon. Where exactly were they located? Does the drill hall still exist?

Hi Chris

I'm sorry that I don't know the answer to your query without doing some looking up or asking, but I would suggest that if you are doing a search, using the correct spelling of Rhiwabon might be more productive than Ruabon.

My family is North Welsh and I will see what I have.

Gwyn

Gwyn, Chris might be referring to the place near Wrexham

So am I. It is down the road from my family. We have never spelt it Ruabon.

Gwyn

Gwyn, Ruabon is the only place listed in my road map. It does not mention Rhiwabon (which I believe to be the Welsh spelling).

That said, I come from Newport (Welsh spelling Casnewydd), and have never heard the 'Port' referred to as Casnewydd - nor is this spelling shown on my road map.

I am not being difficult. I was simply trying to be helpful.

I never use the English spellings of Welsh place-names, any more than I would write Londres.

Anyway, whichever spelling people choose to use, knowledge of the word Rhiwabon expands the possibilities which can be offered by a search. To return the original point, I said I would ask my local relatives (Rhosllanerchrugog and Ponciau) what they know; and I will.

Gwyn

1909 Territorial Year Book:Under Denbigh-4th (Denbigshire)Bn.Rl.Welsh Fusiliers Station and Headquaters Wrexham.

In Westlakes The Territorial Battalions says 4th R.W.F. formed 1860 as 1st Admin Bn.of Denbigh Rifle Vols.Headquaters at Ruabon.

November 1932 Army List gives Headquaters of 4th R.W.F. as Drill Hall Poyser St.Wrexham.

I may be wrong but I seem to recall seing a former drill hall buiding in Ruabon,but I cant give a location.

Particularly in rural areas companies of Territorial Battalions were often spread around drill halls over quite a wide geographical area and it does not seem unusual for the location of headquaters to change.

• 2 weeks later...

Ruabon is a small town 5km south of Wrexham. Ruabon by the way is famous for its bricks.. As for the drill hall I don't know.

C company of the 1/4 RWF were based in Ruabon

D company was in Denbigh.

There is excellent book detailing the history of the 1/4 from 1914 to 1916. It contains extracts of letters home, some photo’s and was written by the present Mayor of Denbigh. If I had it here with me at work I could give you more information. However it’s called. “All that we had we gave” by Peter Glynn. John in the Shell Hole has some copies.

I can give more information when I’m home so ask away.

Dave

Oh dear, Oh dear.

As a long time resident in Wales, though not Welsh, nothing p****s me off more than arguments over the language used for place names.

Places in Wales usually have a published name in Welsh and English and in many cases the common useage by both locals and visitors only concentrates on one version. Ruabon is an example, as is Builth Wells or Newport or Wrexham if we are looking for anglicised versions.

At the end of the day, the answer is a lemon!

By all means suggest using the Welsh (in this case) version, or the English one as the case may be or even both in search engines but for heaven's sake but please don't pontificate. ;)

I only spelled it as it was in 1914. Did the Welsh language exist then?  ;)

Suddenly an image sprang to mind; Chris holding a wooden spoon. :)

I am not being difficult. I was simply trying to be helpful.

I never use the English spellings of Welsh place-names, any more than I would write Londres.

Anyway, whichever spelling people choose to use, knowledge of the word Rhiwabon expands the possibilities which can be offered by a search. To return the original point, I said I would ask my local relatives (Rhosllanerchrugog and Ponciau) what they know; and I will.

Gwyn

and another thing.......................

A lot of Welsh people I know identify Rhosllanerchrugog as Rhos!!

A little off topic, and not trying to stir up a hornet’s nest. My Nain (Grandmother), lived in North Wales all her life, her first language was Welsh. She use to say when the conversation came around to the Welsh Nationalists 'there are two types of Welsh: The Welsh and the bloody Welsh'.

Before I’m branded as another Anne Robinson, please take note of my surname and be aware that I have supported Welsh rugby since my youth in the 70’s. Its been a long, long wait to see the team play with conviction as the did this RWC.

Now moving completely off topic: I coach Rugby at Gent here in Belgium and I have them calling the lineouts in Welsh! Keeps the opposition guessing.

Sorry

Dave

A lot of Welsh people I know identify Rhosllanerchrugog as Rhos!!

And so do we.

However, this forum is used by an international community and therefore I believe it is preferable to use full names.

I am not sure what exactly you are trying to say here and what your point is.

Gwyn

Peace be with you all!

It is surely obvious that, if a place has a Welsh and English spelling and someone wants to obtain some information on it, both versions are quoted.

Let Peace prevail: save your ammo. for a better target.

Guest Pete Wood

Wow, I hadn't realised people were getting upset about this. Gwyn, I promise you I wasn't trying to correct you or for anyone to be confronted. Sorry.

But when it comes to place names, the Welsh sure know how to choose good ones. As children, we used to take great delight in going to one railway station and sticking our pennies into the machine to print off the world's longest platform ticket. It must have been six inches long:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Translated, I believe this to mean "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave."

Yes, for those of you across the 'pond,' this place does exist.

I'm not sure what the locals call the place, but we called it "Llanfair PG."

It still makes me smile....

Hi Mr Teapots

I didn't take your comments personally!

Now, at the risk of being told that I am pontificating again, local people (at least my Mon / Anglesey relatives) say Llanfairpwll.

I agree entirely with langleybaston's comments.

Gwyneth