Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Flying Cross Citation - Mesopotamia (Iraq)

Guest edgroves

I am trying to trace the citation of a great uncle of mine awarded the DFC sometime in the early 1920's in Mesopotamia (now Iraq). Unfortunately I seemed to have not had a huge amount of luck on the National Gazette and wondered if anyone had any ideas/resources into finding this out.

We have the DFC, but unfortunately no citation. His name was Valentine Palmer and most probably recieved the DFC in or around 1922.

Any specific RAF knowledge would be greatfully recieved.

Many thanks.

Unable to find a Valentine Palmer in 'The DFC and How It Was Won 1918-1995'

Mick

Have clarified the name - Robert Daniel Cecil Palmer - he died in 1920 in action in Mesopotamia.

Is there anything in 'The DFC and How It Was Won 1918-1995' under this name?

No citation but has following details

65th Sqn (Albu Kemal)

LG 12/7/1920 7422

Mick

When I first saw the query I thought it could be No 6 Squadron that the DFC recipient served with as this squadron was posted late into Mesopotamia,ie at the end of the Great War and served for the next 25 years as part of RAF Middle East Command.During the interwar years,the squadron was very active in "stablishing" the area for the creation of the then new Iraq.

After serving on the Western Front, No 6 Squadron after being based at Basrah from 16 July 1919 was posted to Bagdad West on 6 September 1919.Equipped with the Bristol F2b Fighter,the squadron had detachments based at Bushire,Abu Kemal and Annah.The two latter airfields are on the Euphrates, upstream from RAF Habbaniya but Albu Kemal sometimes referred to as Abu Kamal is on the river as it flows into Iraq from Syria. From July 1920, No 6 Squadron had several additional detachments along the Euphrates and others as far as Mosul and Kirkuk.

Flying Officer Palmer must have been awarded the DFC whilst serving with No 6 Squadron RAF,whilst based at Bagdad West (I think this is the now International Airport) but whilst operating on detachment out of Albu Kemel (Abu Kamal)

Hi There,

I put this on the other post.

I'd recommend a trip to Kew to look for evidence of his recommendation and citation.

Documents can be found in AIR 2, Series A, Codes 32/1 and 32/2, AIR 2, Series B, Code 30, AIR 5 and AIR 8.

All of the above relate to operations after WWI, including the fighting in Mesopotamia which was sporadic and continued after the war. Example of what I'm on about can be found below:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...amp;image1.y=14

The other option is to write to the adjutant at 6 Sqn, which I think is now forming at RAF Leuchars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._6_Squadron_RAF

Or contact their association at this site:

http://fly.to/sixsqnasso

Steve

Hi, I have just looked at the records of Number 6 (I took photos when I visited Kew last year) and can confirm that Dan Palmer was on their books - in fact he was the penultimate officer entered on the sheet for 'P' surnames. There is no entry for his rank and the date of joining Number 6 squadron was 1918? (no month offered) and there was an additional entry of 'Killed' in the column of his after-the-war wherabouts. His entry also has 'DFC' after his name, so it would suggest that he was awarded it whilst serving with Number 6 squadron.

Regards

Steve