Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

sapper r. marines

enoch beard

hello all,

where is the best place to find information on a sapper in the royal marines! i pulled the service sheet from n.a. which had very little information! does the fleet air arm have any information?

thanks

enoch

Enoch,

The FAAM should have. Horatio2 is your man. (hope he doesn't mind the name dropping).

Regards,

Simon.

Enoch

If he was a short service RND Engineer (with service number Depot or Deal/****(S)), the FAAM should hold his original Attestation and other papers including original RND Record Card. Post his name and service number and I will confirm. However, if he was in the Royal Marine Engineers, a totally different organisation (with service number RME/****(S)), his papers will be at the NA.

H2

thanks h2, :D that is good to hear! he is deal 1083 -s sapper s. perks r. marines

now to find someone to do the research!

enoch

What a great picture! This is your man:-

Deal/1083(S); RND Engineers; PERKS,S; He joined RNDE in early February 1915 and was transferred to the Royal Engineers (with most other RNDE men in early 1917).

Interesting that the photo shows him in naval rating's uniform. It is known that in the early days of the RNDE the men were enrolled as RNVR and also attested as Royal Marines and were dressed as seamen. Your man may well have enrolled RNVR in the first instance and been transferred RNDE later. He may or may not have had an RNVR number.

i have some more pics if you want to see?

do you know anyone who can pull his papers for me?

enoch

Another great picture. Any idea of date or where it was taken? Any more like that?

Contact the FAAM direct for his papers. They may be thinner than some because of his later transfer to RE but worth asking.

E-mail to research@fleetairarm.com

Medal card of Perks, Sidney

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers R08072 Corporal 2nd

Royal Naval Division Engineers 1083 Corporal 2nd

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/15

I think the service number must be a transcription error. Highly likely 208072.

Service papers will be in WO/363 or 364. FAAM probably have only his RND Index Card.