Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Please!

patwilliams121

:unsure:

Please will some kind person help me to understand this information!

My Grandfather's "Rank or Rating" is "Mus."

His No. is preceded by RMB, and the"medals,&c. earned " are - St. V. B.

"How issued or disposed of" - Hawkins.

I know he was injured in the Dardanelles and came home in 1915, so thought that "Hawkins" could be the ship he came home on.

Does this mean he was a Musician???

Thanks in advance

Patricia

Patricia,

Welcome aboard.

Your GF was certainly a musician (Mus) and played in one of the Royal Marine bands (RMB). All the larger warships had a RM band, plus, of course, the units of the RM Light Infantry.

I think that Hawkins was a RM hospital in the UK. He would probably have travelled home from Gallipoli in a hospital ship or a hospital transport ship, depending on how badly injured he was.

Sorry, but I can't help with the medal.

Best wishes

David

Patricia, Strictly speaking your GF was a musician at the Royal Naval School of Music - that is what the service number prefix 'RMB' signifies, not "Royal Marine Bands". The RNSM supplied bands to HM Ships. Quite independently of the RNSM, the RMA and the RMLI Divisions recruited musicians for their divsional bands. Of course there was a certain amount of cross-drafting between the two. His medals are the WW1 trio of 1914-15 Star (St), Victory Medal (V) and British War Medal . "Hawkins" is new to me it must be a name connected with the issue of his medals - I do not think it was a hospital but stand to be corrected.

Could you post your GFs details. Musicians were not thick on the ground at Gallipoli and he could well have been in the Drake Battalion stretcher bearers, in which case I may have more on him. All the service papers of RMB men are held at the Fleet Air Arm Mueum.

Se this link: http://www.fleetairarm.com/index2.htm and follow the clicks to RN and RM Documents under History and Research.

Many thanks for all the info. It is really helpful.

His name was William Henry Fletcher

RMB 2096

Apart from the info you have already helped with, this is all I have. I have spent hours on the National Archives site trying to find references for his Attestation papers and Service Record -- I'm still working on that one!

I shall certainly follow the link you gave me for more information.

Patricia,

Welcome aboard.

Your GF was certainly a musician (Mus) and played in one of the Royal Marine bands (RMB). All the larger warships had a RM band, plus, of course, the units of the RM Light Infantry.

I think that Hawkins was a RM hospital in the UK. He would probably have travelled home from Gallipoli in a hospital ship or a hospital transport ship, depending on how badly injured he was.

Sorry, but I can't help with the medal.

Best wishes

David

Thanks so much for your response. "Mus" came as quite a surprise so I couldn't really assume that my guess was right.

All the best,

Pat

Patricia, I have not found anything specific to this man. His Service Record should be at the National Archive. However, his original Attestation and other papers (eg Conduct Sheets) should be at the Fleet Air Arm Museum. They should able to tell you quite quickly from their database whether they hold any of his papers.

H2

Patricia, I have not found anything specific to this man. His Service Record should be at the National Archive. However, his original Attestation and other papers (eg Conduct Sheets) should be at the Fleet Air Arm Museum. They should able to tell you quite quickly from their database whether they hold any of his papers.

H2

Many thanks H2,

I have just sent off an e-mail to the FAAM and hope they will at least tell me if he's on their database. (Their site now says there's a 12 month waiting list for the actual research - but if he's there, I will be very patient.)

Happy Christmas,

Pat

"Hawkins", if listed on the ADM/171/168 RM medal roll, indicates the ship he was serving aboard when the medals were issued.

His service sheet is on film at Kew:- ADM/159/110 & should give plenty of service details.

"Hawkins", if listed on the ADM/171/168 RM medal roll, indicates the ship he was serving aboard when the medals were issued.

His service sheet is on film at Kew:- ADM/159/110 & should give plenty of service details.

Excellent, thankyou! That no. medal roll is exactly where I got "Hawkins" from. Thanks for the other info too, I'll go for that!

Merry Christmas,

Pat